5. "A Beat of Heartache"

It's already a new school year. I am now in Junior high. A third year student. I am single. Single and ready to mingle. Haha, just kidding! Right now, I want to enjoy my highschool life with my friends. After all, I've missed them so much.

Kent came back from his vacation in Australia. He transferred to St. Dominic Academy after all to continue his 2nd year highschool. He already left Riverview High. I don't know how's he doing. I don't even know if I care. Maybe I do. Maybe I'm just in denial right now. I guess it'll be best for the both of us to be in separate ways.

Months went by without even realizing that I survived half of my junior life without him. I actually did it. And I am proud of myself. Friends really are enough for me. They are absolutely enough. And I am glad that my boy friends are close to me again, especially Rhys. He's like a brother to me. He is sweet. And I like it 'coz I feel comforted and safe when I am with him. He is really doing his role as my big brother. And when Kiara and him broke up, I am right beside him giving back all the comforts he has given me.

Recently, I found out that during the vacation break up I had with Kent, Kiara is texting him. While comforting him, their conversations became that intense.

Kiara: She doesn't deserve you. Everything will be okay. After all, I'm here. Why don't we be together?

Kent: You mean, you? As my girlfriend?

Kiara: Yeah, why not? I know that there's a special connection between us.

Kent: But I've just been through a break up.

Kiara: She doesn't have to know.

Kent: Okay. Alright.

They've been together after we broke up that same day. What the heck?!

But, Kent suddenly ended it because he knew it's not the right thing to do. Good thing he still respects me. Well, I just found out through my sister, remember she's Kiara's bestfriend. She begged my sister not to tell me. But of course, family comes first. I love my sis for being loyal to me.

It is already January and we are starting to practice our presentation for our school's anniversary. There will be a Literary Contest which contains a declamation, story telling, and for our part - a choric speech. And for the second day of the event, we have prepared dances based on trends

We are busy practicing and we don't have enough time to study our lessons. It became a tradition that if January comes, it means time to rest for studies but time to make efforts in practicing for the upcoming event.

I've heared that Kent already has a girlfriend. She's probably his classmate. I am not affected. I think so. But I don't wanna see him with that girl. That will surely break my heart. I didn't see him for months and the next moment I'll have with him is seeing him with another girl? A girl that is not me? I don't know if I can handle that.

[ F o u n d a t i o n  D a y ]

We are so nervous right now. Today is the day. We have to win the contest. A lot of people will be watching us. Parents, guests, visitors, our fellow students and respective judges. It should be perfect. We have to do our best to repay the efforts we did for the past weeks. We shouldn't let our class down.

But this moment in my life where I keep on ignoring finally came. My heart beats so fast. Not like the beats that I'm feeling when I'm in love. It is a beat of a broken heart. A beat of heartache. It's beating really fast that I couldn't even reach my breath. As of now, my nervousness triggered even more. I saw him. I saw Kent. And he was with his girlfriend. And for the first time, I saw Aria's face. She seems so nice and innocent. She's undoubtedly pretty. I've never been this insecure. "You are way prettier than her", Rhys whispered to me as he caught me staring at the love birds. Oh I hate myself for hurting me. I am the one who chose this. I need to stand firm. I have to focus. I have to.