Chapter 2

I take a deep breath and grasp at the door. I imagined how my conversation with Ricky might go while I was driving on the road. Those scenarios were unpleasant. I tried my best to picture something else. Like we would have a laugh and just watch comedy shows.

Which is something he has never done or will ever do.

It's wishful thinking.

An uptight man like him would never laugh at comedy shows. He just stares at the TV nonchalantly while eating protein oatmeal cookies.

I sigh once more. I contemplated to stay at Josh's for a while until Ricky's temperamental nature died down and I could come home to a quiet house.

But knowing Ricky and Ananya, they would become frantic and I would just make it worse.

It's best I just get this show on the road and get it over with.

I twist the handle and open the door.

"Hello? I'm home." I enter and shut the door behind me. I turn the light on and scan the kitchen. To my surprise, I see an empty table. No Ricky or Ananya.

Relief washes over me and my shoulder relaxes. But I can't help but feel weirded out by the lack of presence in the house.

I did notice the car gone at the garage when I parked my vehicle outside the house. But I didn't think anything of it, considering I had a lot of scenarios plaguing my mind.

I open the cupboard to get a glass of water and approach the sink. I halt to see a shot glass resting in it. A tiny amount of brown liquid resting at the bottom of the glass. A whiskey bottle rests on the corner of the sink, half empty.

I raise a brow.

I recall the bottle to be full when I saw it last.

Did Ricky drink all that?

Something must have happened if the bottle is half empty. He doesn't drink that much in one night.

How strange...

"Reese?" I spin around, nearly tripping. I soon realize it is Ananya when I notice the red bindi on her forehead. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you like that."

Her voice quavers a little and she lets out a yawn. She must have done something the entire day cause she looks exhausted.

I place a hand over my chest, calming my racing heart. "It's alright. I got a little distracted."

A small smile plants on the woman's face while her hand rests on her round belly. "As you always do."

I look at where her hand is placed. They have been going to doctor's appointments lately. Having their checkup regularly. Ananya says that the baby has been healthy and well. A lot of kicking and fussing in her womb, which makes me chuckle a little.

One more addition to the family. I have a feeling this baby is going to be a hyper little thing. I'm sure I can handle the little guy or...girl.

"So, did you have anything for dinner?" Ananya makes her way towards the fridge and opens it before I could say anything.

I nearly respond when my stomach rumbles an answer for me. I hear her chuckle and I crack my thumb.

"I...I didn't have the time to eat for a while." I said with a nervous smile.

"As expected." She says, her body gets up to full height and turns around to reveal two Tupperware containers and places them on the table. "I prepared this for dinner. I made a little extra knowing how busy you were gonna be today."