Chapter Two: The Science Nerd

The walk to the high school was long, but we had no idea where the buses would be picking up students so we had no choice. There were students everywhere, their loud voices and laughter almost deafening. John lifted his hood onto his head and placed his hands into his pockets, making sure he walked directly next to me the entire time. I could tell some people were watching us, but they mostly ignored us.

John and I made our way to the office, handing our documents to the receptionist at the main desk.

She looked them over before saying, "Have a seat John and Jennifer and I'll go print out your schedules. Be back in a jiffy." I thanked her and sat down in one of the uncomfortable seats next to John. He placed his bag on the only open seat next to him while I just kept mine on, a habit I picked up from Henri. If we needed to run, I wouldn't be wasting time trying to grab my bag.

I heard parts of the conversation in the Principal's office, but I ignored it. John, on the other hand, was openly eavesdropping. I rolled my eyes at him and looked down at my shoes. Much to Henri's dismay, I had drawn all over the white of my Converse sneakers. I loved Star Wars, mainly because it was so inaccurate. So, doodled on my shoes were different spaceships and stars.

I smiled at the doodles just as the receptionist returned.

"Here are your schedules." She told us. John and I quickly stood up and stood in front of the desk again, yet John's attention was on the girl who just exited the Principal's office.

"Homeroom is calculus, that's B-wing, room 7. Oh, Sarah. Could you show our friends to their lockers? They're from Santa Fe." The receptionist asked the girl, handing her our schedules. She turned to look at us, her eyes scanning over me before landing on John. She nodded and grabbed the papers from the woman before motioning for us to follow her.

Once we entered the busy hallway again, John asked her, "So, what kind of camera do you use?"

She smiled and replied, "Eavesdropping? That's not gonna win you any friends."

I laughed and said, "That was all him. I know boundaries."

She smiled at me, enjoying my joke. I noticed a group of guys watching us as we walked, Sarah giving one of them a glance. I wonder what that's all about.

"Tell that to the Principal with a fish tank for an office. It's kinda hard not to hear." John added, defending himself. I could already tell he liked this girl.

Sarah stopped us in front of a set of lockers, her eyes on John. I know that look.

"Room 7 is down the hall, and uh, those are your lockers right there. Good luck... uh..." Sarah trailed off, not knowing our names.

"I'm Jennifer, this is John." I told her, placing my hand on John's shoulder as I smiled at her. She smiled back at me while John added, "John Smith." That wiped the friendly smile from her face.

"You don't want to tell me your names, that's fine." She spoke before turning and walking away. I sighed and turned around to face my locker. She'll find out sooner or later that those are our names, more or less.

John's phone started to ring, meaning Henri was making his first hourly call. John pulled the phone out of his pocket and declined the call, making me roll my eyes. Henri isn't going to like that.