Chapter Five: Secrets Revealed

A pit had formed in my stomach as John and I walked to Sam's house. Of course I was terrified that somehow the Mogadorians would find us because of Sam knowing, but I couldn't help but be more worried that I might lose the only real friend I've ever had.

"Do you think he'll try to do something now that he knows?" I asked John quietly, hoping for the best. John sighed and looked down at the ground.

"We can't take any chances, Jen. I know how you feel about him, but we can't let him get in the way or get hurt because of us." John admitted. I let out a shaky breath and nodded, trying to hold back my sadness.

We rounded one last corner and approached Sam's house. I tried to ignore how fast my heart was beating from the awful anticipation of this conversation.

I didn't realize I had stopped walking until Sam called out our names from the garage, my eyes refocusing to see that John had gone to knock on the door. I quickly looked over to Sam, seeing him watching me carefully. From where I stood, I couldn't tell if he looked frightened at all.

John walked back over to me and gently gripped my arm, the both of us walking to meet Sam. I couldn't bare to look at him as I walked past him and into the garage. How could I have been so stupid? I finally let myself have a friend, let myself care, and it all just blows up in my face?

"So what are you? You two threw those football players around like it was nothing. And the hand thing? That's not human. So I'm asking you, what are you?" Sam asked us, looking between John and I with determination. I simply looked down at my hands, not even knowing what to say.

John must have felt the same because he stayed as silent as I did. Sam scoffed in frustration and added, "Do I have to threaten you? Alright, cause I got some pictures on my phone that's gonna start some major questions." I quickly looked up at that, walking forward with John to see the pictures he'd taken.

"Gimme that." John told him, but when Sam told him 'No', he pushed him against the truck harshly and glared intently at him. I took a step forward in shock, but stopped myself from interfering.

"You know I could hurt you." John told him, successfully intimidating him enough for him to take the phone. He quickly opened it and scrolled through the pictures, holding it out for me to see. As he scrolled through, I didn't see any pictures of us using our abilities. However, I did see a picture of me that Sam had taken without me knowing at the fair tonight. I was standing there with a bright smile on my face as the game attendant handed me the prize. I felt my cheeks redden as I looked over at Sam, seeing his own blush creeping up onto his face.

John gave me a teasing look before chuckling and handing Sam the phone back, "Knock yourself out."

I felt Sam's eyes on me as I moved again to stand beside John, but I couldn't meet his gaze. I knew what we had to do next, and I knew that it would be so much harder for me to leave this time now that I've met Sam.

"My entire life has been an episode of X-Files. You know what it's like to feel something so strong that's everyday you have to keep telling yourself that you're dad is gonna come back and take you away from this shithole? And that everything we believed in was true. And that we were not crazy. Please." Sam admitted, the pain in his voice finally making me look up at him. His eyes met mine and I saw the desperation and determination in his gaze. I sighed and finally spoke, "Your dad was right."

"What?" Sam asked me, looking between John and I.

"He was right. About Ancient Astronauts. Life on other planets. All of it." I added, watching as a smile grew on his face. I smiled as I saw him excitedly move around, saying, "Yes! I knew- I knew he wouldn't just leave us. I mean they found his truck near the border of Mexico and he was just gone. Maybe they took him. If he knew you were here, he'd come home."

My smile fell from my face quickly as I stepped forward, quickly grabbing Sam's hand and shaking my head.

"You can't tell anyone about us, Sam." I told him with a shaky voice. He looked at our hands briefly before meeting my eyes and replying, "N-no, I wouldn't-"

"Sam, you need to promise me that you won't say anything. Nobody knows this. There are others from where John and I are from, looking for us. We aren't safe, Sam." I explained carefully. Sam was silent, but by the way he squeezed my hand in his I knew he understood.

Before he could say anything, Sam's Stepfather shouted for him to come inside. He let go of my hand and looked between John and I.

"Wait until I get into the house, then go." Sam told us, but John grabbed his shoulder so he couldn't leave yet.

"Sam." He spoke, silently asking him if he would keep our secret. Sam's eyes found mine over John's shoulder as he said, "I promise." I smiled slightly at him as he turned and left, talking to himself excitedly.

Maybe we won't need to leave after all.

AUTHOR'S NOTE
So it's been a while. I honestly forgot about this story but so many of you have loved it so I want to try and keep it going until the end of the movie.
I don't plan on writing anything after the movie, mainly because I haven't had the chance to read the books, so I hope I can keep the motivation to finish this story. Thank you guys for continuing to read and comment, I love you all.