Chapter Four: The Paradise Fair

Throughout the rest of the school day, I received countless stares and questions regarding my scars and where they came from. One of my teachers even asked if there was trouble at home. I just told them all what I tell everybody else, that I'm a clutz when I try to cook with an oven.

Some believed me, some didn't, some didn't really care that much about my answer. John was lucky that his scars were on his leg, he can hide them a lot easier.

After the last bell rang, I practically ran outside to try and find John so we could go home. I texted him and told him that I would be waiting by the main entrance. I looked up from my phone, seeing Sam walking towards me. Oh no, he's going to ask about the scars.

"Hey Jen, you kind of ran off earlier. You okay?" He asked me, sounding genuinely concerned. I'd ignored him for the rest of the day to avoid him asking the questions that everybody else did, and I felt awful for it. I wanted to let Sam in, to have an actual close friend for once, but I can't risk him getting hurt if the Mogs find us.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry. I just wanted to get to class." I lied, giving him a small smile. He didn't seem to buy it, but he didn't call me out on it. He fixed his backpack strap on his shoulder and gave me a small smile.

"Listen, uh, I was wondering if you wanted to hang out tonight? Maybe go to the fair?" Sam asked, sounding slightly nervous. I felt my heart flutter in my chest, no matter how hard I tried to stop it. Why do I keep feeling like this? Nervous and giddy whenever I'm around him.

I gave Sam a smile and ignored my conscience that was telling me that this was a bad idea as I replied, "I would love to."

He let out a sigh and gave me a bright smile before saying, "Cool, I'll meet you there then." Before I could say anything else he walked away, leaving me on the school steps with a smile on my face and only one thought running through my head.

I was definitely falling for Sam Goode.

++++++++

"John, can I borrow a sweatshirt?" I asked my brother as I stepped into his room. I had changed out of the lost and found t-shirt and into a long-sleeved shirt, but I know I'll get cold later and John's sweatshirts are always warmer.

John looked up at me from his bed and gave me a questioning look, obviously not knowing why I'm dressed. "Are you going somewhere?" He asked me as he sat up. I looked down at my hands in slight embarrassment as I replied, "I'm meeting up with Sam at the fair." I don't know why I feel embarrassed, maybe because I've never really had feelings for anyone before.

I looked back up after John said nothing, only to see him looking at me with a small smile, no doubt having noticed my embarrassment and the small hint of makeup I was wearing on my face.

"You like him, don't you?" John asked me, making me sigh and fall onto his bed, earning a laugh from him.

"Please don't make me talk about boys with you." I spoke, earning another laugh from him.

"I'm happy for you, Jen. You seem happy when you hang out with him." He told me, making me smile. I looked up at him and smirked as I said, "Like you and Sarah? Aren't you supposed to be meeting her tonight?"

John sighed and fell back against his pillows, looking up at the ceiling in thought. "You saw what Mark did to us just because I talked to her."