Part Five

I woke up and all the lights were on. I kept my eyes closed, not wanting to wake up and face reality. It was my first day of work today. Joy. I sniffed, and the smell of bacon filled my head, making it hard to concentrate. I sighed happily, remembering happier times. For a moment it felt like I was home in Michigan, in our penthouse, sitting on the roof with the barbeque plugged in and my dad grilling bacon. I could almost hear my mother’s sweet laughter, my brother’s useless banter and my dad yelling at us to bring the plates out. Those were the good days. But I knew what came next. Every time I had these happy flashbacks, the bad ones would come back. I opened my eyes just in time, breathing heavily. I don’t know why I still put myself through those. Every time I did I ended up crying. I wiped my eyes and walked to the kitchen.

Dana was standing at the grill, bacon piled onto the pan.

“Morning!” she chirped. I smiled meakly.

“Morning,” I yawned, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

“It’s your first day at work so I decided to give you a treat and cook breakfast,” she smiled. I laughed.

“Thank you,” I said, starting to serve the delicious mouth-watering rashers of bacon.

Walking down Interlet Lane alone, on my way to work on my first day. I remembered this feeling when I started at my school’s library. I was such a nerd, I was actually excited.  That must have been the most boring job ever. Standing behind the computer helping people. I was not a ‘helping’ type of person. If anyone annoyed me I would start shouting. And that is why I ended up stopping going, so of course I got fired. Good times.

Getting to the door and opening it may have been the scariest thing I had ever done. I pushed it open timidly. It was early and I was told to come now. I walked in, my head held high, no indication that I was worried. I let the door bang behind me.

Chace was standing at the counter, his back to me, studying something. When he heard the door he looked up at me, and grinned.

“She showed up,” he said, almost as if that was a triumph.

“No, I was going to show up late and get fired from my job on the first day,” I said sarcastically, starting to walk to the manager’s office. My heels clicked on the floor. I was wearing something more ‘suitable’ today. Just a tank top, skinny jeans and open toed-heels. Nothing to draw attention to myself.

Chace chuckled. He had a nice laugh, I had to admit. It was sweet yet manly. You had to hear it to know what I meant.

“I didn’t think you were going to do that. I actually could tell you really needed this,” he said seriously.

I stopped in my tracks and looked at him. I crumpled my brow. His serious face turned into a grin. Wow that grin! Shut up Harlow!!

I sighed. “Well, yea, I do need this,” I said, pushing open the door. I walked down the corridor and knocked on Max’s door.

“Come in,” he shouted and I walked in.

“Hey Max, I’m here,” I said cheerily. I wanted to sound enthusiastic.

“Oh Harlow, my lovely newbie. How are you?” he asked, smiling.

“I’m very good thanking you, eager to start,” I hinted, wanting to get this over with so I could get out there and show them what I was made of.

“Okay, I can see that,” Max laughed, getting up off his chair and going out the door. I followed him and he took me to a cloakroom, where I saw several uniforms hanging up. He searched through a few and handed me one.