Warrior State of Mind

Fire.

My skin is on fire. My once pale skin is now painted red with irritation from the vicious waxing and scrub baths. My bare and newly hairless body stings as they begin to slide an oddly familiar fabric on. Once I'm in, Odette spins me around so I can face the mirror. I look at the elaborate blue reflection staring back at me and my fears of being sent out in something ridiculous are replaced with pure astonishment.

It's beautiful.

My dress is a long blue gown with white and silver ripples extending to the floor like waves. My curly red hair is left down to shape my blue and silver painted face. Letting my eyes roam the rest of Odette's creation, I recognize a familiar white hue underneath the wavy ripples. It's my mother's dress that I wore the day I was reaped.

"Finnick said you would be more comfortable in something familiar to you. Don't worry we didn't do any permanent damage to it, we just used it as a base under the dress. What do you think?" Odette chimed after noticing my eyes fixate on the white fabric.

Unable to take my eyes off my dress, I voiced my gratitude, "I love it. Thank you."

Odette nods and walks away leaving me to enjoy my reflection in peace. I run my hands down the dress and pivot around, watching how the tidal trimmings twist and twirl with my body. Suddenly I feel like I'm back at Four sipping vanilla tea while watching the waves rise and fall with my father. For the first time I actually hope my father watches the parade's broadcast. I bet he would love this dress as much as I do. My attention is diverted when I hear Odette returning with Finnick. I spin around to face them and I am met with Finnick's wide blue eyes fixated on me in astonishment.

"Wow.," he whispered as his face dawned the ghost of what could possibly be a blush.

"What do you think?" I inquire, twirling again to showing off my dress.

"Y...It's beautiful." Finnick stutters, quickly diverting his eyes away from me and back towards Odette adding, "Truly, amazing job Odette." Odette proud of her work, bows and walks off with her assistants.

Once she is gone, Finnick walks up to me and extends his arm playfully, "Ready to go?" he asks mocking gentlemanly charm. I nod and put my arm in his, letting him lead me out of the room towards the chariot mounting area. As we arrive, we see Mags with Thomas who is wearing nothing but tight green scaled pants and a coral necklace over his bare chest. Holding in my laughter, I look up at Finnick who looks equally amused. He catches my glance, and with our eyes alone, we exchange a silent laughter, careful to not offend Thomas as we approach him.

"You look great!" I hear Thomas say as we arrive in front of the pair.

"You too?" I add unsurely and Thomas smiles, "Yeah I'm not a fan of this outfit either."

Returning his smile, we turn and walk together with our mentors by our side over to our designated District 4 chariot by the front of the lineup. As we approach our chariot, I hear the ceremonial music becoming louder and an unsettling sensation begins to sprout in my stomach.

Noticing my nervousness, Finnick stops and turns to face me with both of his hands resting on my shoulders, "You'll be fine, just remember to be fierce. You're a warrior now, so act like it."

With my mom's wedding dress giving me strength, I nod and Finnick pulls me in for a hug. In shock, I stand there awkwardly at first. But after a few seconds, I give into his warmth and wrap my arms around his waist.

"Thank you" I whisper into his shirt. He has been such a huge source of strength to me throughout my time here. I don't know what I would have done without him. We break our hug and with a parting smile, he walks away with Mags to the spectator area to watch the parade with the other victors. I look back at Thomas who is already mounted on the chariot. He extends his hand and taking it, I mount the chariot and we are off. "The Horn of Plenty" plays as we ride through the crowds. Hearing the masses cheers coupled with the powerful pounding of the drums make me feel strong. I look up at the main screen and I see myself on the monitor. My crimson hair bouncing with the powerful strides of the horses and the silver-blue waves decorating my dress shimmering under the spotlight.

I am a warrior. I hope you can see me, Dad.

Just as quickly as it started, the parade was over and Thomas and I were dismounting from our chariots when I hear Novena yell,

"That was a positively wonderful performance Annie!" she continues and I see Finnick and Mags rushing beside her excited stride towards me.

Finnick is the fastest and he reaches me first, grabbing my waist and lifting me up and spinning me around in the air, "You were amazing! They loved you!" he cheered putting me down but maintaining his grip on my waist. I put my arms on his and match his smile, "Really?" I gleam.

Before he can respond, Novena cut in, "Why of course dear! Everybody who is anybody is talking about your dress. You were absolutely stunning out there, keep this up and you'll have no problem getting sponsors!" She adds clapping her hands together proudly.

Finnick releases his grip and grabs my hand leading me out of the area, "Come on, we have a lot to discuss before your interview tonight." With our hands intertwined, we rush out of the parade area attracting stares from the other tributes. As we leave, I see a familiar set of eyes watching me and Finnick with envy.

Oliver...