Of Little Talks

Finally, we arrive at the shore of the forest. Though this shore is not like the sand I'm used to at all. This sand is rocky and cold. Not like the warm fine sand back in Four. I am suddenly reminded of my father and my life back at Four. I let myself give into the memory of my old life and for a second I forget that I'm in the arena, until I hear Shayra shouting. I shake my head to get rid of the thought.

Focus Annie.

We dismount the boat and enter the forest to begin our trek towards the cornucopia. As we walk through the snowy pine trees, the new scents of nettle and pine are strangely calming. If I wasn't in an arena, I would actually enjoy it here. This forest environment is unlike anything I had ever seen back in Four and it was beautiful. Whilst scanning the snow-frosted trees, I see a smoke cloud rising off in the distance.

Shayra notices this as well and she growls, "Hunting time!" and takes off towards the smoke.

I looked over to Raven and we exchanged worried glances as Oliver and Titus followed Shayra's lead. Begrudgingly Raven and I follow suit as well. Before we can reach the fire, the smoke disappears. This causes our pack to halt not knowing which direction to run in anymore.

"Maybe they heard us coming and put it out?" Raven suggests. But before anyone could answer her, we heard the sound of tributes screaming followed by the cannons.

BOOM. BOOM.

Looking up I notice the once clear sky is cloudy and I can see snow coming down over the direction of the screams. Soon the snow clouds reach us and Shayra reaches her hand out to touch the snow that falls. On contact, she wails, retracting her now blistering hand as she takes off away from the clouds.

"Everyone back towards the boat!" Titus shouts.

We run back towards the shore with the snow burning our skin and through our clothes. The only thing that seemed to be immune to the snow was our boots. With the black parka jacket almost completely burned off me, I throw it to the ground and continue running. Once we reach the boat, Titus and Oliver flip it over as we hide underneath it as the acid snow passes. When we are sure the acid snow has stopped, we flip the boat over and inspect our damage. Luckily nobody is hurt that bad but our warm jackets have been destroyed.

So much for staying warm.

As the clear sky returns, we see the sun begin to set. So, we decided to camp by the boat and make a fire. Titus and Shayra grab the knives and take off to gather wood and Oliver searches for game leaving Raven and me to watch the boat alone.

"Have you ever seen that before?" Raven asks once we are finally alone.

"What do you mean?" I reply unsure of which unfamiliar thing she is referring to. I have seen many new things today.

"Snow" she replies as she peels off her burnt jacket and tosses it on the ground.

"No, Four is costal so I am not really familiar with cold temperatures, let alone snow," I say as I take a seat by the boat facing the icy ocean. Raven joins me.

"I'm from One so it has snowed before. For a second it reminded me of home until it started burning us!" she adds with a dry chuckle. I laughed with her and for a second we just sat watching the waves crash against the rocky shore.

"I'm lucky, my mentor guessed it would be cold so he taught me a lot about staying warm and surviving" I begin after some time.

"Oh yeah, I heard about your mentor. Finnick Odair right? He is easy on the eyes that's for sure. I heard he is pretty loose too. Tell me you at least got some before you were sent off to this hellhole?" she asks, winking at me. I feel my face go red but it is a fleeting sensation as I begin to feel pity. Pity for Finnick because that is all anyone sees him as. The Capitol whore.

"No, he is a great ally to me and I would not want to do anything to take advantage of his kindness or jeopardize our friendship," I added confidently. I hope Finnick is watching this. I don't want him to think I think of him so poorly. Answering my question, I hear a small whistling noise, and Raven and I look up to see a silver parachute floating down towards us. It lands in front of me and I look at Raven who just smirks at me. Rolling my eyes I grab it and open it. Inside I see a match kit and a note that reads...

Stay hot ;)

~F

My face instantly flushed as red as my hair and seeing my reaction, Raven grabs the note out of my hand and reads it too.

Laughing she responds, "Better get rid of this, if Oliver sees it he will flip" handing the note back to me.

"Why?" I look up at her confused

"Because he likes you!" she gushes, nudging my shoulder. I feel my stomach churn.

Great.

Sighing, I take her advice and quickly discard the note into the water when I hear footsteps approaching from the forest.