This Isn't Goodbye

After the interview, I took a shower and put on my nightgown. Sliding onto my bed, I rest my back up against the bedframe and wait for Finnick. Tomorrow I will be in the arena, so this is the last time we can talk strategy. Suddenly, I hear a soft knock at the door.

"Come in," I answer. I look up and see the door slide open with Finnick still dressed in his revealing Capitol outfit from the interview earlier. He smiles at me and takes his usual seat at the edge of the bed before turning to me.

"How are you?" he asks, searching my face for an answer. I sigh and pull my legs up and hug them to my chest.

Looking back up at Finnick, I start, "I'm not afraid you know. Of death." He looks saddened by what I said, and his eyes drop. We sit in silence for a minute, processing what I said before he looks back up at me.

But before he can open his mouth to respond, I ask, "Can you do me a favor?" Keeping my eyes trained on him. I watch as he nods his head and taking the cue, I continue, "Once you return to Four, can you tell my father I wasn't afraid..."

Finnick cuts me off, "Annie, you're not going to..."

"Finnick, please, just listen, okay?" I plead with him, not letting him say it. I don't want him to give me hope where there is none. He sighs and nods allow me to continue, "I think that knowing this will make my death easier for him and will hopefully give him the strength to carry on without me. Can you do that for me?" I ask.

"Of course, Annie, if it comes down to it, that is," he adds, giving me a reassuring smile. I don't return it, though. Instead, I rest my head on my curled up knees. I feel the bed shift, and I look up to see Finnick has moved next to me at the head of the bed.

"Also, I want to say thank you for everything you have done for me. You have been a perfect friend for me throughout this entire process, and I want to tell you how grateful I am to you if we never see each other again." I feel my eyes begin to swell with the threat of tears when I feel Finnick put his arm around me. With his other arm, he puts his hand under my chin, lifting my face to connect with his sea-blue eyes.

"This is not goodbye, Annie." He says with such assurance that a part of me wants to believe him. But the more rational part of me soon takes over, and his words begin to tear at my heart. I can't think of anything to say back to him, so I let myself get lost in his eyes, his warmth. I watch his eyes drift down to study my face, landing on my lips. Removing his hand from my chin, he brushes his thumb over my bottom lip, making my face flush.

Seeing my reaction, he smiles and removes his hand. "It's important you rest, so you have all your strength for tomorrow," he adds.

"I don't think I will be able to." I mumble almost inaudibly.

"Would you like me to stay with you?" Finnick asks.

"Yes, please," I whisper as I slide under the covers. Letting my head relax on his arm, I feel his fingers gently brush the stray hair out of my face. His feather-light touch makes my skin ache. I had begun to care about Finnick a lot. How could I not? He has done so much for me. He is sticking by my side throughout this entire process despite my lack of strength and confidence. The possibility of never seeing him again floods my mind, and I try to think of something else to divert my thoughts.

"Hey Finnick, what's your favorite thing about Four?" I asked, trying desperately to distract my mind from thinking about tomorrow.

Catching on to my game, he replies, "probably the ocean, what about you?"

"My Dad. He has always been there for me. Since my mom died, I'm all he has. I hope he will be okay on his own," I reply as a wave of sadness washes over me.

Finnick frowns at my response and looks down at me, "I promise I'll do everything I can to get you out of the arena and back home to your DadDad. In return, you must promise me something too, okay?" he looks so serious. Throughout my time here, I have gotten to see a side of Finnick that nobody else except maybe Mags has seen. I have come to realize after my interview that he only acts like a Capitol womanizer. Just like I faked my confidence in front of the peering eyes of potential sponsors, I realized that Finnick must have his reasons for doing the same. From my time with him, I have seen a side to him that I doubt he shared with his string of wealthy Capitol lovers. With me, he is so kind and warm.

"What?" I ask with my eyes trained on his beautiful face. I study his face as if this is the last time I will see it because despite what Finnick tells me, it most likely is. I look at his curly bronze hair and how a few rebellious curls fall perfectly over his sun-kissed face. I am suddenly reminded of my Dad, and how I studied his face just like this all those days ago. It has only been a week, but my life in Four was beginning to feel like a distant memory.

"That you won't give up when things get hard. I know first hand in the arena that at times it may feel like your alone, but your not. I'll be watching you and supporting you every step of the way. Okay?" He whispers, studying my face as well.

"I promise," I say as I close my eyes, hiding how red they must be, and drift off to sleep in Finnick's arms.