chapter 2.5

(SO I decided to write this to keep my lovely readers at bay since it takes so long for me to update. ^^ please enjoy this mini "side story")

You stood patiently in the empty hallway. In the distance, there was water dripping, feeding into the underground "ambience".

You realized there were many things you did not understand about this world you were in.

The... "flowey" had created a cackling sound unfamiliar to you.

Laughter, as it was called, was a song yet to grace your ears.

You knew from common knowledge that it arose from jokes or general pleasure, but had to investigate it first hand.

You sat on the floor and tried to smile to yourself, remembering the warmth Ms. Toriel had blanketed you in so early in your encounter.

You sighed, relaxing your face. Almost startled by your own voice, you sigh again.

The sound was.... nice. Being as you knew you were alone, you tried to speak again.

You cleared your throat. "H-hello... my name... i-is.... is Y/n."

The sound surrounded your ears, sensing a chill. It seemed Ms. Toriels magic had an accident side effect on you.

The way laughing has would make someone giggle, you couldn't help but crack a smile.

It felt awkward, unnatural, unnecessary. It was great.

Now having sat in the room for quite a bit, your phone rang.

It seemed Ms. Toriel was having some trouble finishing up her errands.

Not knowing quite why, you called her back. The line was busy...

She immediately called back once again.

"Hello.

This is Toriel.

Sorry for not picking up the phone little one."

There was an audible smile in Ms. Toriel's voice.

"I was speaking to..... a friend."

She seemed to recall something and giggle quietly.

You analyzed the sound, finding it much nicer than your other "laughing" experience.

"He really is quite funny."

"Funny?" You openly puzzled quietly, not even realizing you spoke aloud.

"Why.....yes... my child" she seemed to be taken aback by your voice.

"He tells quite a bit of jokes over the phone. For instance just today: he said - Knock knock."

Ms. Toriel paused. You waited patiently, looking down.

"Y/n, my child? You're supposed to respond with 'Who's there'. " Her voice was gentle, teasing you before you were even aware of the mistake.

Still, being reprimanded set your heart a flame like bad heart burn. The twang of remembrance set a pain in your eyes you were all too familiar with.

You followed along with the joke, not really understanding, and hung up.

You looked up at the corridor.

One.... one step. One step was too far.

You looked down at your feet, hearing so many voices in your head that were never your own.

Angst, regret, laughter, punishment, and despisement pooled into the coves of your mind and filled each pocket with a thick, black feeling.

You had no voice of reason, no self-conscious. You were a shell. A puppet.

As if only held on the strings by a man you could not identify..... a man who himself felt empty......

He could hold nothing. But was constantly grasping.

Joy, pride, love all slipped through his hands as if they'd been cut out the middle.... All he could do was give.

Like a venomous snake, he shed his hatred on you....

Louder...

Louder...

LOUDER! the whispers became inside you. Your stick had fully punctured your hand and thigh, your deep breaths echoing in the silent room but doing nothing to penetrate the spinning within your head.

You became dizzy. You took a step forward, trying to regain balance.

With fear spinning your eyes and clouding your mind, you reached for the phone.

Your hands trembled, waiting for a ring. You took another step.

The room was silent, with not even your desperate attempts for air through beaten lungs reaching the silence that had caked over you, suffocating you.

You took another step. In your head, there was laughter, a voice you hadn't known.

She... they... were cackling. Distorted. And they were laughing at you.

"яıԀıċȗʟȏȗś....  һѧṿєṅ'ṭ ʏȏȗ ғıɢȗяєԀ ıṭ ȏȗṭ? ıṭ'ś ѧʟʟ ѧ jȏҡє....  ѧṅԀ ʏȏȗ'яє ṭһє קȗṅċһʟıṅє."

You couldn't follow, the new voice stopping you in your tracks.

"Ŵһʏ ṅȏṭ ṭѧҡє ѧ śṭєק ṭһє ȏṭһєя wѧʏ?"

You pause, your trembling body turning to humor the suggestion. With a shaky glimpse back you immediately turn around.

"ṅȏ...  ċѧṅ'ṭ Ԁȏ ṭһѧṭ єıṭһєя һȗһ? ċѧṅ'ṭ śṭѧʏ...  ċѧṅ'ṭ ʟєѧṿє... "

You felt ashamed.

"ʏȏȗ'яє ṭяѧקקєԀ. ṭһє ȗṅԀєяɢяȏȗṅԀ ċѧȗɢһṭ ʏȏȗ....  ʟıҡє ѧ ғʟʏ....  ʏȏȗ'яє wяѧקקєԀ ıṅ jṭś ṭєṅṭѧċʟєś, ȗṅԀєя ṭһıś ṅıɢһṭṃѧяє. "

Again.... a cackle...

ȏһ ɞȗṭ...  ı ċѧṅ  ś  є   ṭ    ʏ    ȏ    ȗ     ғ       я        є            є

... "

The laughter..... It felt.... like Flowey.... but.... more.... acerbic. You couldn't explain the both empowering..... and defeating.. presence the voice had, trumping your numbness....

You decided to call Ms. Toriel again. She seemed to be struggling with a small dog, paying you next to no mind.

She had left you by yourself, but you felt an aura. You knew you weren't alone.

But they were right. You couldn't move forward, you couldn't go back.

You sat down, defeated. Too shocked to scream, too shattered to cry. You sat there, hollow, letting the whispers fill you. You were helpless.

All you could do... was wait.