Chapter 28: Interrogation

Lily's POV:

I have never been more scared than the situation I was currently in at this very moment. It all happened like a complete blur. I had never been into a police station for anything, yet here I sat shaking in fear in the interview room with 2 detectives and my lawyer. We had been here for nearly 2 hours already.

Before the interview, the lawyer that was working with me went through the case with me reminding me of all the horrible details of Matthew's death. The lawyer had gone into detail recommending that I write a statement which could be read out by him but to say no comment to all the questions. But I wasn't going to do that. I had nothing to hide, I didn't kill Matthew. I just prayed that there would be enough evidence to convince them of my innocence.

"Did you love Matthew Lily?".

"Of course I did. We were childhood sweethearts and not even married for 1 year". I tried to be confident and not show weakness, but I could not control my shaky voice and trembling body.

"If that's the case, then why did you request a legal separation?.

Tears pricked my eyes as memories flooded back of the things I tried so hard to forget.

"I didn't want to do it, but there were lots of issues, he had a lot of issues".

"Like what?".

"He had been abusive to me for quite some time".

The detectives turned to one another, their mouths moving quickly before looking back at me.

"What sort of abuse and did you inform anyone of this?".

I shook my head too saddened to vocalise what had happened to me.

"At the time, he was quite controlling and I just thought it was because he cared about me and only wanted what was best. But then his behaviour started to change. He slapped me. He was a complete wreck and cried saying he'd never do it again, I stupidly believed him. Harsh grabs, slaps and hits started to become frequent, especially when he was stressed at work".

"And you didn't tell anyone? You didn't seek help?".

"I, I wanted to, but I was scared. My friends and family loved him, I loved him. I thought it would get better, but it never did".

"Is that why you got legal seperation?".

"Yes and no. It was because one night I walked in on him and, another woman".

The lawyer next to me shook his head and jotted down a few notes.

"He was having an affair with his secretary" I said in hopes to reassure them.

"And how did it make you feel seeing your childhood sweetheart with another woman?".

"It hurt".

"Lily, do you want to know what I think about all this?".

My heart started to race as the large man slammed the papers down on the table effectively scaring me.

"I think this is a revenge murder made to look like a suicide. I believe you killed your husband out of anger and revenge after everything he put you through. Maybe seeing him with another woman was the final straw that threw you off the edge".

"No, no, he did awful things but I could never kill him even after all he did to me. A small part of me will always love him".

The man shook his head with a smile on his face.

"Lily, we have CCTV footage of you coming into the house the morning of Matthew's death. You came out 10 minutes later looking rather nervous. Can you confirm this is you?".

The man slid over a large photo from the CCTV of me entering the house.

"That is me. And yes, I went there in the morning to collect my parcel that had come all the way from Canada. I had ordered it before I left Matthew and so it was coming to the home we had together. Matthew had sent me a message the evening before saying the parcel had arrived. I can show you the text to prove it".

The female detective nodded and handed me over my phone that they had close tabs on.
My lawyer watched me as I opened up Matthew's messages and showed them the last one he had sent me.

The female detective wrote down some notes frantically.

"So, you went to the house to get the parcel. Fine, but that doesn't explain why forensics found your fingerprints on the same knife that was found next to Matthew that was covered in his blood".

"Because I used that knife to open the parcel to check I had the right item. The same company got the order wrong before so I had to check".

"And where was Matthew at this time? Did he see you, because we have confirmation that he did not leave his house at all the day before and the day of his murder".

"I used my key to enter and found Matthew passed out on the sofa with bottles of alcohol around him. I was too nervous to say anything, so I quickly ran to the kitchen with the parcel and checked it was all fine. Once it was checked, I grabbed my stuff and left the house. It had been the first time since I had seen him everything happened".

The male detective frowned at me before staring down at his notes.

"I hated him, but I never wanted him dead".

Tears began to well up in my eyes seeing the pictures of his dead body with cuts on his body.

"What did you do after you collected the parcel Lily?".

"I took it back to my Mum and Dad's house and then went to work at the hospital. I was on a 12 hour shift from 10am-10pm".

"And someone could confirm that?".

"Yes, plenty of people".

Suddenly the door burst open and in ran a young looking woman with a folder in her arms. She lent down and whispered in the male detectives ear.

The man looked up at me with his eyes wide and nodded in appreciation at the young girl. She handed him the folder and whispered to the other detective.

"We're going to take a 10 minute break".

The two detectives stood up and walked out the room leaving both me and the lawyer alone in complete silence.

After watching the small clock handle move round 10 times, the detectives came back with a softer expression.

"Lily Evans, we are releasing you without charge. No further action will be taken against you. We are satisfied with the evidence you provided and have received new evidence of a man seen lurking near your house before the time of his death. We will keep you informed of any changes. Thank you for your time".

MIC: I tried to research police interviews and I'm sorry if it's not the correct process. :(

Isabella's POV:

Lily had been gone a long time. James invited Alexander inside for a drink and spent their time speaking over what had happened. We were all anticipating a call from the police to confirm our daughter's interview result. We all knew that she was innocent. I just feared that James would become a suspect. He was once a murderer and a bad man. Why do I have a feeling that karma is about to strike.

Stepping into the bathroom, I locked the door with haste and lifted up my top before staring at my right breast.

I had some pain recently and my breasts had become much more sensitive, it was noticeable when James and I had sex. But I never said anything.

Feeling around the skin, I stared down at the breast that was slightly discomforting to touch, but stopped in horror as I felt a small lump.