Chapter 8

AMERICA'S POV

AMERICA'S POV

Stepping into the sunshine of Wakanda feels like a breath of fresh air. Despite everything going on outside, this place has never changed. Everything else has, including me. Steve and I lead the group forward to greet T'Challa and his warriors. He shakes Steve's hand, then mine. It feels so good to have his trust.

"Seems like I'm always thanking you for something," Steve says. Bruce comes forward and bows, causing everyone to raise their eyebrows and Rhodes to snicker.

T'Challa raises his hands modestly. "We uh, we don't do that here." Bruce shoots Rhodes a dirty look as we start to walk. "So how big of an assault can we expect?"

"Uh, sir, I think you can expect quite a big assault," Bruce says before following Vision, Wanda, Pietro, and Rhodes inside.

"How're we looking?" I ask.

"You will have my Kingsguard, the Border Tribe, the Dora Milaje, and-"

My face breaks into a smile as Bucky and Anna approach us. "And two semi-stable, hundred-year-old warriors," Bucky finishes, a grin on his face. "It's good to see you guys again. It's been too long."

I embrace Anna, hugging her tightly. "I missed you," I say. She smiles, tucking a lock of long brown hair behind her ear. It's grown out. Both Anna and Buck have healthier appearances than they did two years ago, and more than that, they're happy. Happiness is practically radiating off of them. "The two of you look good."

"Thank you," she replies. Steve gives his sister a hug as Bucky pulls me in for one.

"How've you two been?" Steve asks. He puts an arm around my shoulder. "Okay?"

In response, Anna holds up her hand, showing off a diamond ring. "You guys!" I exclaim, grabbing her hand so I can examine it further. "Congratulations!"

"Thank you," Bucky says as Steve punches him playfully in the shoulder. "Not bad, for the end of the world."

"I guess not."

------

"Whoa. The structure is polymorphic," Shuri, T'Challa's younger sister, says as she scans Vision with a device on her wrist. She studies the holographic structure of the Mind Stone in her palm with interest.

"Right, we had to attach each neuron non-sequentially," Bruce explains, pushing his glasses further up on his nose.

"Why didn't you just reprogram the synapses to work collectively?"

Vision looks at Bruce, then me, as if to ask the question himself.

"Because... we didn't think of it?" Bruce glances to me for help.

I only shrug. "Don't look at me, I only did the math. The sciencey stuff, that's all you."

"I'm sure you did your best," Shuri says. A patronizing smile spreads across her face, and while I know she means well, the comment bugs me.