Chapter 22

AMERICA'S POV

AMERICA'S POV

"This such a weird place to meet," I say, staring up at the Sanctum Sanctorum with apprehension. It's been a week since the funeral, and we're getting together to decide the future of the Avengers. 

Steve shrugs. "Thanos blew apart the compound and we don't own Avengers Tower anymore. None of our apartments are big enough, Wakanda's too far, and Clint said no to using his farm. This was it."

"I guess." Magic is something I never really wrapped my head around. Science is weird enough. I'm weird enough. "Nothing's going to be the same, is it?"

"No. And that's a good thing." He smiles at me and we walk into the foyer together. Most of the team already occupies the space. Bucky, Sam, and Anna walk over to us.

"This is crazy, isn't it?" Anna asks, motioning to the random red cloak that's been floating around shaking hands.

Steve gives his sister a hug. "I've seen weirder than a flying cloak."

"At this point, haven't we all?" I joke. 

"You ready for this?" Sam asks me. He alone knows what we're going to do today, and he doesn't even know all of it.

I nod. "So ready."

Somehow, Pietro ends up as the last one here, but it doesn't really surprise me. He's all windswept and properly apologetic when he dashes in, claiming that one of his classes ran late, but it's a Monday morning. He's not fooling anyone.

Stephen leads us all upstairs to a long table. He sits at one end, and Fury sits at the other. Fury leans back and his chair and starts the meeting. "So, we are obviously all here today to discuss the future of the Avengers. Many of our original goals have been accomplished and many of our original leaders aren't here anymore. What anyone decides to do today is up to them."

A momentary silence sweeps around the room.

Carol Danvers, who sits at Fury's immediate right, answers first. "I'm not staying on Earth, Fury. I'm sorry, but they need me up there."

"Yeah, same," Peter Quill says. He points to his ragtag gang and they all nod in agreement.

Thor lifts a bottle of beer. I don't know where it came from. "And I'm hitching a ride with them."

"I'm going to work in SHIELD's science department again," Bruce says.

Pietro kicks his feet up on the table until Stephen shoots him a glare. "I'll stay on the team."

"Me too," Wanda says quietly. She glances at her lap, then at Stephen. "I need to talk to you. Please?" His eyebrows raise, but he stands and beckons her out of the room to speak in the hall. I wonder what she wants to know.

"Bucky, Anna and I are going after Zemo," Sam says, his eyes sharp with determination. "We got a lead the other day. I think we're all still staying on the team, though." The Barnes both nod.