Chapter 21

AMERICA'S POV

AMERICA'S POV

I've always hated funerals. Maybe it was just because for so long, I knew no one would mourn me. Hydra wouldn't. They'd mark me down as a failed experiment and move on. Others might even rejoice in my death because the end of my life meant the salvation of others. But now, standing here at Tony's funeral with Steve's arm around my shoulder and my siblings at my side, I know that I was wrong.

We were all mourned. Some spent years crying for us, never forgetting, never moving on. I can't believe that even for a minute I believed that my husband forgot about me. I know how much he missed me. In the last two days, he's barely let me out of his sight. It's a bit possessive, but I don't care in the slightest. In his place, I would do the same thing.

Tony and Natasha are gone. Tears slide down my cheeks as the thought crosses my mind. The last time I saw Natasha was in Wakanda, five years ago. I never even got to say goodbye. Then again, none of them did, really, except Clint.

None of them got to say goodbye to us, though. We've all learned how precious life is simply because of its impermanence.

"You okay?" Steve whispers as Pepper places a wreath in the lake. Clint walks forward with another one for Nat.

I lay my head on his shoulder and sigh. "Not really."

"Yeah, me either." He presses a kiss to my forehead. "I'm glad you're here to face it with me, though."

"Me too," I say.

I don't know what's going to happen after today. Steve and I have barely talked since the battle. We've just been content to be together when we can, but the relief effort and funeral planning have taken up the majority of our time. I do know that whatever happens, we'll be together, and the rest really doesn't matter.

After the funeral ends, Steve and I wander away to the water's edge. Our fingers entwine and our hands sway back and forth. He looks over at me every few seconds, just to make sure.

"Steve," I say softly. "I'm here."

He exhales. "I know."

"So much time has been taken away from us," I say, thinking out loud. "I think it's time we finally start our life. Without the Avengers, or SHIELD, or any of that. No more running. Just the two of us. Steve and Mer Rogers. What do you think?"

"That sounds perfect, doll." He smiles and looks at the water. "You know I haven't had peace and quiet since the 1930s?"

"Old man."

"You married me."

"That's right I did." I tap his nose playfully and continue on. "So what has Captain America been up to these last few years?"

"Depressing therapy groups and bachelor nights with Pietro. At least until he got a girlfriend. Then bachelor nights for one."

My eyes nearly bug out of my head. "He's got a girlfriend?"