01| Orth, City of the Great Pit

It always seemed like stories began with a great journey of some kind

It always seemed like stories began with a great journey of some kind. The heroes would embark on a trip across uncharted land or sea, eventually arriving at the place where their story would truly begin. I used to imagine taking a trip like that myself, battling the elements with only my raw skills and closest friends to aid me. I never thought I would get to experience that, and yet I did.

And it was a struggle to not absolutely despise it.

I kneeled, hunched over on the rocky shoreline, wincing at the sharp stones grinding into my skin. The tide ebbed just behind me, but I refused to look at it. A groan escaped me as I begged internally for the remnants of seasickness to leave me. My mother was crouched beside me, rubbing my back as my little sister watched from her spot atop my father's shoulders.

"It's okay, Len," my mother soothed. "It's over now, we're finally here."

I shook my head. "I-I thought you said it wasn't, though! There's no city, just cliffs."

"Yes, it is going to be a bit of a walk to get to the city. But don't worry, the boat's crew will be bringing our things, so we don't have to carry anything. The difficult part's over. After this, you can spend the rest of the day reading and relaxing." Her words made me suddenly aware of the other people around us, waiting for us to move, for me to move.

"O-okay, I'm sorry for making everyone wait." My face burned from embarrassment. I swallowed back my nausea and forced myself to my feet, readjusting my glasses as they'd slipped down my nose.

"There's no need for that," my father added. "Believe me, we're all exhausted from being at sea for so long. A good walk is what we all need, really."

I nodded weakly. This was why I hated the ocean. But Mother was right, at least our month-long trip was finally over. I hardly knew why we had decided to come all the way out here. All I'd learned from previous asking was that there was a city where my parents' medicinal skills could be put to work, and good work at that.

Looking up at the cliffs rising above us, they seemed like they almost scraped the clouds. They were one last trial to reach our destination. My legs trembled at the thought of having to climb those cliffs. Even a well-made path would be horribly steep.

"Are you sure you're feeling okay?" my mother asked.

"I-I'm fine," I said, dusting myself off. It wasn't like I was a little kid anymore. I was twelve, I could walk on my own. All I had to do was ignore the slopping of the ocean against the rocks behind me, and I'd be fine. I shuddered at my own description of that; "slopping" wasn't a good word. I shook it off and followed after my father and one of the boat's crew members. Hearing the happy cheers of my sister as my father purposefully jostled her made me feel a little better. I was glad she hadn't been affected by this.

We left the shoreline behind and began to scale the path leading up to the cliffs. To distract myself from the strain of the path, I let my mind wander to what kind of city awaited us ahead. Would it be quiet like our old home, with narrow streets and buildings that were more underground than above? Or would it have buildings that soared high, fitting of its place atop cliffs like these? It was impossible to tell from where I was now, and I let those thoughts carry me.