-8-

Ashton burst into the courtyard. He was so afraid now that his secret was out. He hoped she hadn't hurt anyone. Regardless, everyone in Arendelle would soon know about his magic.

"There he is!" cried a townswoman, excited to get a glimpse of the newly crowned king. The woman obviously had no idea what had just happened in the ballroom. "Your Majesty! Long live the king! King Ashton!"

Ashton backed away from the woman and quickly weaved through the crowd, trying hard not to touch anyone as he backed away. He didn't want to cause any harm with his powers. He just wanted to leave the kingdom and hide!

A young woman with a small child in her arms called to him. "Your Majesty, are you all right?" she asked, full of concern.

Ashton put his hands behind him and moved away. He slowly walked backward, accidentally bumping into the fountain in the center of the courtyard. As soon as he touched the fountain, the water in it froze to solid ice.

There was a loud gasp from the villagers. People turned and ran away from Ashton.

Liam and his guards ran down the castle steps. "There he is!" he shouted, leading the charge toward Ashton. "Get him!"

"Just stay away from me! Stay away!" Ashton cried. He held his hands up, causing the castle steps to ice over. The Duke's guards slipped and tumbled down to the ground.

"Monster!" Liam cried.

The crowd panicked. A swirl of cold air traveled through Arendelle as Ashton ran along the streets, leaving ice and snow in his wake.

Harry watched from the castle gates. "Ashton!" he called. "Wait, please!" He rushed from the castle and ran after Ashton. Michael trailed behind him. "Ashton!" Harry cried desperately.

Ashton looked over his shoulder as he neared the water. When he turned, his foot touched the lapping waves—and the water of the fjord immediately froze. He took another cautious step . . . and another sheet of ice bloomed under his foot.

"Ashton!" Hurry called after him.

Feeling his panic grow, Ashton ran across the fjord. With each step, more water froze underneath him. Soon he was moving at full speed, heading toward the mountains on the other side of the lake. As he passed, the ships belonging to the visiting dignitaries creaked and locked into place, frozen in the ice. The gorgeous summer day had turned into a growing winter storm.

"Ashton, stop!" Harry pleaded. He rushed onto the fjord after his brother but slipped on the ice. He was too far behind to catch up.

Michael reached out for Harry and helped him to stand. "Harry, are you all right?" he asked.

They both watched as Ashton reached the far shore and made his way into the mountains. Harry strained to see the path Ashton had taken.

"Did you know?" Michael asked Harry.

"No," Harry replied. Then he nodded. "But it makes so much sense."

They walked back through the village and overheard the Duke speaking. He was addressing a growing crowd of concerned people. "The king has cursed this land," he said. "He must be stopped! You must go after her!"

Harry rushed over to him. "No!" he shouted. "No one is to go anywhere."

"You!" Liam shook a finger at Harry. "Is there sorcery in you too?" He shouted. "Are you a monster, too?"

"No, I'm completely ordinary," Harry replied.

Michael took his hand. "That's right, he is," he told the Duke.

"And my brother is not s monster," Harry added.

Liam scowled. "He nearly killed me," he said dramatically.

"You slipped on ice," Michael pointed out.

Harry stepped forward. "It was accident. He was scared. He didn't mean it. He didn't mean any of this." He paused. "All he's ever wanted is to be perfect and good. Tonight was my fault. I pushed him. So I'm the one who needs to go after him."

Harry turned to his royal guards. "Bring me my horse, please."

"What? Harry, no!" Michael shouted. "It's too dangerous."

"I'm not afraid of Ashton," Harry said. "I'll bring him back and make this right."

A royal guard brought Harry's horse to him. He took his clock, which was hanging over the saddle, and wrapped it around his shoulders.

"I'm coming with you," Michael said.

"No," Harry told him. "I need you to take care of Arendelle."

Michael saw the desperation in Harry's eyes. He put his hand to his chest. "On my honor," he said, bowing his head.

"I leave Prince Michael in charge!" Harry told the crowd.

"Are you sure you can trust him?" Michael asked as Harry mounted the horse. When Harry didn't reply, he leaned in. "I don't want you getting hurt."

"He's my brother," Harry said. "He'd never hurt me."

Urging his horse into a gallop, Harry took off over the frozen fjord toward the mountains as snow continued to fall.

———————
Ashton trudged up the steep North Mountain. Ever since he was a child, he had been taught to conceal his powers. Now that was all over. He felt sad and worried as he gazed back at Arendelle far bellow. He knew no one in Arendelle would ever see him in the same way again.

But a tiny part of him also felt relieved. His magic had been a hard secret to keep, and he didn't have to hide it anymore. Being alone was easier, too. He didn't have to worry about hurting anyone.

As he continued up the mountain, his steps actually became a little lighter. Now that everyone knew what he was capable of, he was free to be himself!

With a wave of his hand, Ashton started to experiment with his magic. Snow and ice whirled around him as he created snowman and ice patterns in the air. The farther he got from Arendelle, the more confident he felt. As he took each step, his ability to draw forth ice and cold grew stronger and more powerful.

Ashton plucked off his crown and threw it aside. He tossed his head and his tightly blonde hair came loose. Twirling around, he conjured up a flowing new outfit of ice, a crystal -blue suit with a cape of gossamer frost. Snow was his element. He was the Snow King!

Thrilled to let his powers loose at last, Ashton found that he could do more than he realized. As he released his magic, a staircase of ice extended upward . . . to an exquisite ice palace that grew as he raised his arms.

This was where he would live. When the castle was finished, Ashton slammed the door. He was home at last.