-11-

Luke held the reins tightly, steering Sven and the sled through three thick, heavy snow. The night sky was cloudy with the promise of still more snow.

"Hang on!" Luke yelled to his passenger. "We like to go fast!"

Sven responded happily and charged forward through the drift.

"I like fast," Harry answered. He leaned back and put his feet up on the front of the sled to show that he was not bothered by the high speed.

"Get your feet down," Luke scoffed. "This is fresh lacquer." He glanced at him sideways. "Seriously, were you raised in a barn?" He leaned over and wiped down his new sled.

"No, I was raised in a castle," Harry replied.

"So tell me," Luke said, "what made the king go all ice crazy?"

"It was all my fault," Harry blurted out. "I got engaged and he freaked out because I'd only just met him, you know, that day. And he said he wouldn't bless the marriage."

"Wait," Luke said. "You got engaged to someone you just met that day?"

"Yeah, anyway," Harry replied, dismissing his comment. "I got mad and yelled at him, and he tried to walk away, but I grabbed his glove, and—"

"Wait. You just got engaged to someone you just met that day?" Luke repeated.

"Yes, are you listening?" Harry snapped. "Thing is, he wore gloves all the time, but I just thought the boy's got a thing about dirt."

"Didn't your parents ever warn you about strangers?" Luke asked.

"Yes, they did," Harry said. He looked Luke over carefully and slid farther away form him on the seat. After all, he was a stranger. "But Michael is not a stranger."

Luke raised his eyebrows. "Oh, yeah? What's his last name?"

Harry frowned, thinking. "Of the Southern Isles?" he offered.

"What's his favorite food?" Luke fired off.

Harry hesitated. "Sandwiches."

"Best friend's name?" Luke quickly followed up.

"Probably John," Harry replied, reflecting that lots of people were named John. So maybe Michael's best friend would be, too.

"Eye color?" Luke pressed.

"Dreamy," Harry smiled.

"Have you had a meal with him yet?" Luke asked. "What if you hate the way he eats? What if you hate the way he picks his nose?"

Harry wrinkled his forehead. "Picks his nose?"

"And eats it," Luke added.

"Excuse me, sir," Harry said. "He is a prince."

Luke shook his head. "All men do it."

"Ewww!" Harry made a face. "Look, it doesn't matter. It's true love."

"Doesn't sound like true love," Luke said, staring straight ahead.

"Are you some sort of lone expert?" Harry asked.

"No, but I have friends who are," Luke responded.

"You have friends who are love experts?" Harry asked sarcastically.

Luke's eyes widened and he stopped the sled. "Stop talking," he demanded.

"No, I want to meet these friends," he insisted with a grin.

Luke put his hand over Harry's mouth. "I mean it. Shhhh!" He stood up and looked into the dark woods. He held up a lantern. Suddenly, he yelled, "Sven! Go! GO!"

The sled took off and Harry fell backward. He saw glowing eyes in the darkness all around them. "What are they?" he whispered.

"Wolves," Luke said.

"What do we do?" Harry asked. He looked at Luke and readied himself.

"I've got this," Luke said calmly. "You just don't fall off—and don't get eaten."

"But I want to help," Harry said.

"No," Luke replied.

"Why not?" Harry pouted.

"Because I don't trust your judgment," Luke said.

Harry was offended. "Excuse me?"

A wolf jumped at the sleigh, and Luke kicked it back. "Who marries a man he's just met?"

Harry was seething. "It's true love!" He picked up Luke's lute and swung it at his head. He ducked, and Harry struck a wolf that was about to lunge onto the sled!

"Whoa!" Luke exclaimed, just as another wolf jumped up and knocked him down. He fell out and was dragged behind the sled.

"Lucas!" Harry cried.

"It's Luke!" he yelled.

Harry took the lantern and lit the sled's blanket on fire. He threw the flaming blanket toward Luke, and the wolves tumbled off him. Then he reached out and pulled him back onto the sled. Luke looked at him in dismay.

"You almost set me on fire," he said.

"But I didn't," Harry replied.

Sven suddenly whinnied. Ahead of him was steep drop into a massive gorge.

"Get ready to jump, Sven!" Harry called.

"You don't tell him what to do!" Luke shouted. "I do!"

In one swift movement, he grabbed Harry and threw him onto Sven's back. Then he unhooked the reindeer's harness. "Jump!"

Sven leaped and cleared the gorge with Harry on his back.

Just behind them. Luke boldly jumped with the sled. The sled didn't make it all the way across, but just before it fell into the gorge, Luke threw himself off and caught the edge of the cliff on the other side. Down below, his new sled burst into flames as he dangled from the cliff. "I just got it." He looked down with a sigh. Then his hands started to slip on the slick ice. "Uh-oh," he said in alarm. "No, no, no!"

Out of nowhere, an ax slammed into the snow and inches from his face. He heard Harry's voice from above.

"Grab on!" He yelled.

Sven heaved and walked backward, lifting Luke to safety.

Harry and Luke peered over the edge at the burning sled. "I'll replace your sled and everything in it," he promised. He looked at Luke. "And I understand if you don't want to help me anymore."

Luke watched as Harry walked away. Sven nuzzled him softly with his cold nose.

"Of course I don't want to help him anymore," he told the reindeer. "In fact, this whole thing has ruined me for helping anyone ever again." He watched as Harry turned and started to walk in the opposite direction.

"But he'll die on his own," he said, speaking in Sven's deep voice.

Luke looked away. "I can live with that," he said.

Harry turned this way and that, unaware which way to go.

"But you won't get your new sled if he's dead," Luke continued in Sven's voice.

He sighed. "Wait up," he called to Harry in his normal voice. "We're coming."

Harry grinned. "You are?" he said happily. Then he composed himself. "I mean, sure. I'll let you tag along."

Harry wasn't sure what lay ahead, but he was very glad that Luke and Sven were coming with him.