-16-

Far down the mountain in Arendelle, the air was still frigid and snow blankets the land. People wondered if warm weather would ever return. The fjord was frozen solid, and all the dignitaries who had arrived for Ashton's coronation were forced to stay since their ships were stuck. In the meantime, men from the marooned boats and haul them to the castle, where they could be stored and distributed.

Michael moved through the crowded village, handing out heavy cloaks. "Who needs a cloak?" he asked. "The castle is open. There's soup and hot glogg in the Great Hall," he said, referring to a special drink of hot wine.

"Arendelle is indebted to you, Your Highness," a woman said.

The Duke approached. "Prince Michael!" he said. "Are we just expected to sit here and freeze while you give away all of Arendelle's tradable goods?"

"Calm yourself," counseled Michael. "Prince Harry has given me his orders."

The Duke went on. "Has it dawned on you that your prince may be conspiring with a wicked sorceress to destroy us all?"

"Do not question the prince," Michael responded forcefully. "He left me in charge, and I will not hesitate to protect Arendelle from treason."

The Duke was put in his place. "Treason? No, I—I . . ." he stuttered.

Michael didn't have a chance to reply. At that moment, Harry's horse galloped into the village square.

"Whoa!" Michael called to the horse, catching his reins. "Easy, easy."

"Prince Harry's horse!" A man shouted. "What happened to him? Where is he?"

Panic grew among the villagers. Michael looked forward the North Mountain. "Prince Harry is in trouble!" he cried. "I need volunteers to go with me to find him."

A number of men immediately stepped forward. The Duke ordered his two huge guards to join the search party as well. But he gave them a little advice before they left.

"Should you encounter the king," Liam said his men quietly, "be prepared to put an end to this winter. Do you understand?"

The men nodded and smiled. They enjoyed a good fight.

Soon they all trailed Michael across the frozen fjord and up into the mountains.

——————
In his ice palace at the top of the mountain, Ashton looked out the window and felt his own panic rising. He hadn't meant to hit Harry with his magic, and he wished he could take it back.

"Get it together," he told himself, trying to use all those strategies his parents had taught him years ago. "Control it. Don't feel, don't feel."

Just then, ice cracked behind him. Looking around, he realized a trial of ice had formed behind him—and it was going up the wall!

Frightened, he gave a sharp cry and continued working to keep himself under control. "Don't feel. Don't feel. DON'T FEEL!"

The ice on the floor began to change and grow into a series of sharp spikes. Alarmed, he glanced out the window. The wind was rising as the weather whipped up to match his feelings of worry.

———————
Michael and his volunteers made their way through the snowy woods and braved the steep mountain of the North Mountain. Some were on horseback, while others walked. Many of them carried torches and swords. The Duke's guards carried crossbows.

All around them, the storm was growing worse.

At the top of mountain, Michael led the group around the rocky cliffs, and eventually they came upon the ice palace. He turned to the men as they all gasped at the spectacular structure. "We're here to find Prince Harry," he reminded them. "Be on guard, but no harm is to come to the king."

Suddenly, a mass of snow rose from the ground behind Michael. It was Marshmallow! The huge snowman refused to move away from the palace entrance. As the volunteers pressed forward, Marshmallow reacted quickly, knocking men to the ground. Michael rolled to safety and grabbed his sword.

Then Ashton, still upset Harry's visit, stepped out onto his balcony to see what was happening. He was spotted by one of the Duke's guards. They ducked around Marshmallow's legs, raced into the palace, and charged up the stairs.

"Stay back!" Ashton warned. He didn't want his powers to hurt anyone. The men had their crossbows aimed at him. He held up his arms and summoned a wall of ice for protection.

But the Duke's guards kept coming. Desperate to keep them away, he waved his arms, and the wall of ice forced one of the attackers onto the balcony. He teetered on the edge, trapped.

The other guard was still coming after Ashton, with his crossbow ready to shoot. With another wave, Ashton crested a series of icy spikes, pinning the man in place against the wall. The spikes came right up to his jaw, barely allowing him to breathe.

Outside the palace, Michael and his fighters continued to battle the powerful snowman. Michael swept Marshmallow's leg with his sword, forcing the snow giant to fall. Marshmallow rolled away and off a cliff. Michael and his men raced into the ice palace.

There, he immediately spotted the guard trapped against the wall and the other pushed to the very edge of the balcony. The man was just inches away from falling to his death!

"King Ashton, no, please!" Michael called out. "Don't be the monster they fear you are!"

Ashton saw the fright in the guard's eyes and hesitated. With a start, he realized he had gone too far; this was exactly what he had worked so long to avoid.

As he looked down at his hands, the wall of ice retreated. He had always tried to keep people safe, not put them in more danger—and now his self-control seemed to be dissolving entirely.

But as the icy spikes melted away from the Duke's other guard, he aimed his crossbow at Ashton. Michael acted quickly. He pushed the man's crossbow aside, causing it to shoot at the ceiling. The loose screw hit the chandelier above Ashton, sending it crashing to the floor. Shards of ice through the air . . . and Ashton fell, knocked unconscious.

——————
Hours later, Ashton's eyes fluttered open. He was in a stone room with one tiny window high on the wall letting a cold light into the room. Ashton rose from the bench where he lay—and realized that he could not bring his arms forward. His hands were encased in thick coverings, which were connected to long chains and bolted to the floor. He could see out the window well enough, though, to know he was back in Arendelle. He was imprisoned in the castle dungeon and could see the snow continuing to fall over the kingdom.

"No!" Ashton cried, looking out his frozen kingdom. "What have I done?"