Chapter 2

"Ta-da!!" Byakuya who had just got home, showed the two white-haired children several papers with a look of glee on his face.

The past few days, Hikari had been living with them. Byakuya had been all-in with the idea, Hikari was neutral, while Senku was against it at first with the argument that what his father did could be considered kidnapping. But after Byakuya took the boy to Hikari's supposedly "home", Senku quickly agreed with his father's idea of letting Hikari stay with them for a while.

When he got home, Byakuya was met with the two staying in the living room. Senku was doing his usual tinkering while Hikari watched at one side.

The two stared at Byakuya, and the next second quickly dismissed the man, continuing what they were doing before the man came home.

"C'mon, can you be at least happy about this? Senku? Hikari?" Byakuya pouted and literally pushed the papers on the two's faces simultaneously.

With Senku, the boy had no reaction whatsoever and just pushed the papers away as it hinders him from making his new device.

But with Hikari, the boy took a few seconds before he could register the words he had read.

"...A..do..ption???" Hikari said with disbelief and took the papers gently from Byakuya's hands. Senku, who became used to the other's sometimes small voice, heard what Hikari had said clearly.

"What?" Senku doubted what he had heard as he stopped at what he was doingー which rarely happensー and stared at his father.

Byakuya grinned as he finally got the two's attention, then he placed his hands on his hips with a triumphant look to the point that Senku could almost see his nose getting longer.

"Aren't I great?! They quickly approved of this once I showed them where Hikari was living in." Byakuya didn't mention the topic of him also taking in account of using the confirmed information of the passing of Hikari's parents.

The jury and police didn't believe him at first, but when they investigated, Byakuya's claims were proven to be true as Hikari's parent died due to an accident on the road.

"Starting today, Senku will have an older brother. Hikari will have a younger brother." Senku and Hikari were both lost in thought at the words spoken by Byakuya.

Senku didn't consider that he might have siblings in the future or any other family members since considering his father's ambition, there was no way he had the time for personal relationships. The man rarely had time for him, and the only time he was home was when he was resting.

Hikari, on the other hand, felt his head swirl with several thoughts. He wasn't one to hope for  anything. He was satisfied with the kindness that the Ishigami had given him and thought that he needed to go back and stop bothering them. He didn't expect to be adopted by the family.

Hikari looked at the papers, slowly making sure, slowly... slowly reading the words on the paper for confirmation... for hope that it was true and he wasn't dreaming.

Then he looked up at Byakuya with an astonished expression. Byakuya understood that look, and only nodded with a smile.

ーhe was ready to be alone. To go back to that lonely place because he couldn't, he didn't want to take advantage of their kindness. But it seems like he wasn't that open-minded. Their kindness knew no bounds from what he had experienced while living with them. Him, who was alone and had nothing to even give or offer to them in return, was accepted. Just like that.

Tears flowed out instinctively, but there was no pain in his heart. The constricting pain wasn't there, rather it was so gentle and warm, wrapping around him.

Oh... Am I happy..?? Hikari felt happiness even though he didn't fully understand it.

Without even thinking about it, Hikari had tackled Senku in a hug, surprising the other with the sudden action. Thankfully there was a soft rug that lessened their impact so it wouldn't hurt that much.

Senku didn't know what to do. He felt Hikari trembling, his shoulder becoming wet due to the tears of the other so it was evident that he was still crying, just not making any noise or wails while doing so. So, Senku, with no other choice, wrapped his arms around the slightly bigger childーwell, his older brother now.

"Ehhh, Papa doesn't get a hug. Even though Papa was the one who worked hard." Byakuya was half-expecting and didn't really think he would get a hug from Hikari.

But his thoughts were proven wrong when the boy also tackled him. He staggered a bit at the sudden action, but the other was just a child so he didn't fall down.

It wasn't that Hikari wasn't thankful, rather he felt reluctant to hug the older man because he was now his... father. He felt a bit embarrassed at the thought.

Senku fixed himself still in a daze at the thought that Hikari will be his older brother. He didn't want to admit it right out, but he was thankful to Hikari for the past few days. Hikari accepted him as he was and didn't question him on what he was doing or called him strange like others did.

After a few minutes of waiting for Hikari to calm down, Senku approached the two. He placed a hand on top of Hikari's head and pat it a few times.

"So I guess you're my nii-san now, huh?" Senku said with smile, which rarely happens as he only ever smiles whenever science is involved. But from the looks of it, Senku has already accepted Hikari in the family long ago.

Hikari nodded and let himself be petted by the boy, even going as far as to bend down so that he could make it easier for the younger. Senku, on the other hand, didn't fell the slightest offended by the action of his older brother, it even reminded him of a small animal that finally warmed up to him.

Byakuya was elated seeing the interaction of the two. It looks like he didn't need to remind the two to get along since they already got along well with each other. It even surprised him to see Senku this accepting of a person.

"Well, now that Hikari will be officially be living with us. Why don't we buy some clothes this weekend?" Byakuya knew that Senku had no interest in such trips and so he directed that question to Hikari.

Hikari blinked at him and nodded as an approval. While Senku had answered him, "Okay then."

It made Byakuya blink and stare at his first adopted son flabbergasted. The Senku who always hated trips and would rather stay at home to polish his science skills would go as far as to accompany Hikari.

He didn't need to worry about the boy fitting in the new environment, since even that unsociable Senku had welcomed Hikari in their home with open arms.