thirteen

🥀

🥀

『 S E O U L, 2 0 2 0 』

Ever since I lived in my own apartment, life felt oddly easy. The divorce process had finally come to an end, freeing both Jaehyun and I from a toxic marriage. He was currently in jail, convicted for two years. I hoped it would be enough for him to change, to understand his mistakes and turn him into a better person. Despite the hatred I felt towards him, I still wanted him to get back to the old Jaehyun, the one I used to love. The kind, funny and caring man who only wanted to be happy.

For the first time, I was about to host a party at my place. A Halloween party, mainly because of Hoseok who begged me to do so. He wanted to introduce me to his friends, stating that it would be nice for me to meet new people and make friends. To be honest, I didn't think it was necessary since I had Jin and him by my side. However, a little socializing wouldn't hurt.

"Is that orange juice?" Hoseok pointed at the decanter standing the buffet

I nodded. "Orange and Halloween! They match." I answered

The brown-haired man stared at me, silently judging me. "I'm not sure people want to drink"

Before he could finish, I interrupted him. "I, for a fact, would like to drink orange juice at a party. Also, think about those who don't drink alcohol. We need soft beverages."

"Soda's fine!"

"Don't be selfish Hoseok."

As Hoseok's coworker, I knew how much of a perfectionist he was. However, I naively thought he wouldn't be tonight, considering I was the party planner. He just couldn't stop changing things and making comments, sometimes mocking my tastes. At some point, I wanted to punch him.

"Why don't you go and buy some stuff we might need?"

He frowned. "Why don't you ask Jin? He can pick them on his way."

"No, I'd like you to go."

"But Jin is still not here."

"So?"

"So, you can call him."

Suddenly, the doorbell rang, interrupting our conversation. I sighed and gestured Hoseok to leave. I then walked to the door and opened without even looking.

"Hello!" a loud voice erupted, causing both Hoseok and I to groan "I'm early, I know! But I wanted to help." I smiled, taking the bags Jin was handing me. "I brought some drinks; thought you'd need it."

Hoseok clapped his hands. "Thank God! Let's get rid of the orange juice!"

~ ~

The party was a success. People seemed to have fun, and I did too. A few of my colleagues were here, some of them had brought their partner. Hoseok's friends were here too, as well as Jin's.

Yoongi and Namjoon were my coworker's closest friends. They turned out to be pretty different from Hoseok, but in a good way. Apart from them, I spent a lot of time with two celebrities—obviously Jin's friends—who were none other than the model Kim Taehyung and the dancer Park Jimin. Both of them were really nice with me, I knew them for three months now. Ever since they once saw me at Jin's place and mistook me for his girlfriend. Which was embarrassing.

"Look at that!" I pinched Hoseok's arm "Adèle is drinking orange juice, like right now."

He rolled his eyes. "She's French. French people are weird."

"Whatever petty guy, I was right."

A few minutes later, I had to go make some extra skewers with tomatoes, olives, and cheese. Also, I enjoyed the quiet atmosphere of the kitchen.

Soon, the door opened, and Jin appeared in here. He was tipsy.

"I was looking for you!" he exclaimed, slowly walking towards me "Need a hand?" he asked

I shook my head no. "Go and have fun, I'll handle it."

He folded his arms over his chest, like a capricious child. "I want to help. Also, I want to stay with you!"

"Do you?" I cocked an eyebrow, fully turning to him. He nodded. "I guess you can just wait here then."

Without a word, he took a seat and silently stared at me while I was making the skewers. At some point, his gaze made me uncomfortable, and he seemed to notice.

"I'm sorry." he cleared his throat and looked away

I shrugged and continued. Again, he broke the silence.

"Are you happy (y/n)?"

"What?" I looked at him, confused

"These days, are you happy?"

I frowned. "I guess...Well, I feel better if that's what you mean. I'm happier than when we first met."

He nodded, smiling a little. "I'm glad you do. You're finally getting the life you deserve."

His kind nature made me tear up, but I tried to prevent the tears from rolling down. I simply nodded.

"Listen, there's something I was willing to tell you. I don't know if this is a good time, but I have to do it." his gentle voice spoke calmly, owning my entire attention "I know you're probably not interested by having a relationship right now, so I'm not asking you anything. I just want to tell you something, for you to know. Huh—I'll just say it—I like you (y/n)."

A silence followed his sudden confession. He stared at me with his excepting eyes, making me feel like I was some kind of alien. Despite his words, I could tell he was waiting for an answer.

"I—I appreciate..." I said "But I'm not ready for this type of conversation Jin. Don't get me wrong, I like you a lot! But with Jaehyun and the divorce, I just don't want to get involved in a relationship. I hope you understand, I'm not ready yet... And I honestly can't say I will ever be."

Although I expected him to simply nod and leave, he got on his feet and stood right in front of me. With a sweet yet sad smile, he pulled me in a comforting and affectionate embrace.

"Iunderstand (y/n), and I won't ever pressure you. I just wanted you to know myfeelings. I care for you; I'd do anything to protect you and make you happy. I hopeyou know it."

🥀