Chapter 1

The forest was moonless and inky. The blackness was so complete, it obliterated any vision that I could have. My efforts of finding any company in the wilderness were futile. I was lost. I could feel someone following me. Scared out of my wits, I started running as fast as my feeble legs could carry me.

After what seemed like ages of running, I was suddenly immobilised by the boulder which had been almost waiting for me to trip on. I fell with a jerk, twisting and injuring my ankle. The pain felt as if someone had stabbed me. Owww! I cried, wincing, but quickly covered my mouth, hoping he didnt hear me. I tried hoisting my wounded self up but in vain. The pain was too sharp for me to dare to walk.

The footsteps gradually grew louder as he approached me. Tears slowly started rolling down, as the walls which made me strong, collapsed. Aaaaaah! I yelled in pain as he suddenly grabbed my shoulders. Sweat ran down my cheeks. The fear I felt, refused to let me look at the person. Before I could blink again, I was on my feet, the pressure of his strong hands was unrelenting. The pain from my ankle disappeared, perhaps because of the overwhelming fear stirring deep in my stomach, causing my breath to become shallow and my heart to beat painfully against my chest.

You cant handle the truth! the person howled at me. Adrenaline flooded my system like it was on an intravenous drip - right into my bloodstream. I thought my heart would explode.
My mind wanted my body to pick up its legs and run, but my brain wouldnt cooperate with it. Instead, it froze; fear paralyzing me and cementing my feet to the ground.

Help! Help! Help! I shouted at the top of my lungs, hoping my voice would fall on some fateful ears in that ebony woodland. Just then, I heard a voice, deep and concerned, Ella, wake up. Its just another dream of yours, it said repeatedly. I was jolted out of my slumber and I found myself in my bed, completely wet with sweat, my mind in a tizzy. Heaving a huge sigh of relief, I cleared my face off my locks which had covered it like a thick vine by now and looked up at my friend, Rose.

Are you okay, Ella? She asked me, with a disconcerted look, as I dropped back on my pillows and nodded. Im glad. Is it the same dream you have every day? She asked as she sat beside me on the bed. Before I could respond to the question, she asked again, And did you see the face of the guy this time?

Yeah, its the same dream. And no, I couldnt see his face, I started, it seems the fear I feel doesnt allow me to, plus its always so very dark.

I have a feeling you will, one day. Just give it time. She suggested.

Its so creepy, Rose. I dont even know if I even want to see his face. I just want to stop dreaming about this, thats all, I said, as I stood up and approached my wardrobe to remove some clothes.

No one knows about my crap apart from Rose. I knew itd be useless to talk about it with Ms.Tina since she probably wouldnt believe me. Rose said it might be connected to my previous life or that itll probably happen in the future, but Im too scared to think about that possibility.

Nonetheless, I couldnt rule out any of these as being possible. You will, one day Ella, she assured me. I gave her a tight-lipped smile before removing the blue jeans and a black t-shirt.

Anyway, get ready fast. Mom wants to talk to you, she has something important to tell you, she told me as she stood up from the bed and left.

Okay, give me fifteen minutes. I will be there soon! I shouted, making sure she heard me. I scampered, and a few minutes later, I was ready and headed to Ms.Tina, Roses moms office. She was the head of the orphanage I stayed in. It was an orphanage that held a school for us. Walking down the hallway, I noticed that all the other children were staring at me as if I had done something, but what could that be?

Just then, Rose tapped me on the shoulder. At first, I was a little bit frightened because of the way the others were staring at me, but after Rose appeared, all my nervousness disappeared. What happened? Why are all of them staring at me like that? Did I do something wrong? I asked her as we walked to the office.

Yes, you have Ella, and Mom will tell you all about it, she told me, building the suspense.

Good morning, Miss, I greeted as we entered the office, after having knocked and hearing her call to enter.

Good morning dear. Why do you think I have called you here today? Miss Tina immediately asked, with a wide smile spread across her face, which made her skin pleat into wrinkles. I gave Rose a confused look because I didnt know what she was talking about.

Why would she call me in so early with such a bright smile? Plus, why was Rose smiling from ear to ear too? From their faces, I knew that whatever it was, it couldnt be bad, so it must be something good. I dont really know maam but I am eager to know the reason. So, please tell me? I pleaded with a puppy face thinking it would force her to tell me faster.

You have received a scholarship from Faber College! gushed Ms Tina. I felt like every fibre in my body was vibrating with anticipation at her words. Adrenaline coursed through my veins as my hands trembled and my eyes widened. This is what a cat must feel like while waiting to pounce on a mouse, I thought.

What?! I squealed in excitement, Oh my God! Im so excited; I have been waiting so long for this day!

Yes! You finally did it dear, beamed Miss Tina.

Aww! Thank you for your support, I chortled as I wrapped myself around her in a tight bear hug. This is just what I would do to my mom whenever I was happy. I am sure she would be even happier if she were here. I so wish she was.

I just hope I am not dreaming, I whispered to Rose as we left the office.

You are not, she reassured me with a pinch.

Ow. I winced in pain as I grabbed held my left arm, rubbing it where she pinched me and looked at her with a frown on my face.

Do you believe it now? She asked as we both laughed, jumping up and down in excitement.

I am really going to miss you, Rose. Our eyes welled up as we both shared a moment.

I know. Same here, but you have to take this step for your future.

Thanks for always being there for me whenever I needed your help. Without you, I would have never gotten over my mothers death, I said with a smile and quick hug.

Rose smiled warmly at me, Of course, Ella. I am grateful that my mom suggested that I look out for you. Youre my sister, you know that, right?

Aww, thanks, Rose. You are the sister I never had,

Ever since I arrived at the orphanage, Rose and her mom, Ms.Tina, had never made me feel alone. It was the kind of love rarely seen for someone whos not your own blood. Despite the fact that they treated me like family, I couldnt help but sometimes wonder about my own family. My father abandoned us when I was seven. Mom died soon after. She had loved him too much and the renunciation proved fatal to her. I never saw him again. Ive spent my years hating the man since then, and I think its only natural for me to feel that way. He shouldnt have left us. Why did he leave me? Why did he leave my mother? Would he ever come back to answer? I always ended up thinking that.

Rose always knew what I was thinking as if my thoughts played like a movie for her. Come on now, lets not be sentimental. Can we? She asked, rolling her eyes and yanking me towards the hall.

Why are we going to the hall? I asked.

Seriously, Ella? You have to let everyone else know about the scholarship. The teachers, the students, so lets go, Rose said.

Wait, what if Im not prepared for that?

You are the brightest student here, I am sure you will have something to say, so dont worry, she said with a smile. How I loved that smile of hers!