Chapter 1 (continuation)

I entered the hall, walked up silently to the stage, not daring to look up. Finally, when I did, I saw everyones eyes staring back at mine. All the teachers were smiling, happiness clearly written
on their faces. I looked down again, nervously, almost choked. I wasnt prepared for this last-minute speech, but somehow, I managed to think of something.

Hello everyone, I started meekly, as I stood in front of the assemblage. So, I am sure all of you know why I am here standing in front of you. I have finally received the scholarship I have been waiting for. None of it would have been possible without all of you, especially, all my teachers. Im falling short of words to describe how thankful I am to each one sitting here. I will miss every one of you, and I hope like me, all of you succeed in all your dreams. So, before I go, I would like to get to spend some time with all of you.

With that said, I left the stage, not wanting to bore anyone with my unprepared speech. I was really happy I had finally received a scholarship to one of the countrys most renowned colleges. From now on, my new life was waiting to begin, in a new city, a new place, a new college and most importantly with new people.

I bid my teachers and peers farewell as I prepared to leave and start my new life. Leaving Rose behind was like leaving a part of me behind. I was really going to miss her a lot. She had always been there for me from the day I entered the orphanage. How I wished she could join me, but unfortunately, she wasnt interested. She wanted to stay at the orphanage with her mom. She was right though; she was needed here.

On my way to Linntown, my cab broke down, and since I was running late, I decided to walk. The road led me to a small tea stall with two strange-looking people. They seemed to be locals so I took my chance. Hesitatingly, I asked them about any bus available to the college.

I am sorry dear, but youre late. The last bus just left, and you wont get another bus until tomorrow, he replied, makingme curse my decision to leave the cab. He would have repaired it and I could be continuing my journey by now.

OMG! I am so late. Mister, is there any shortcut that can get me there faster? I asked the older of the two.

There is a way through the forest which you can use and it should get you there in an hour. I wouldnt advise it though, because it is rumoured to be haunted. It is said that whoever has entered has never returned, he said in a low, almost spooky voice.

Thinking it over, I mustered up all my courage and found my feet already marching towards the forbidden forest. The forest looked marvelous. It seemed like it had a history behind it. I continued to walk because seeing the way the forest was, my fear had disappeared. It was magnificent and really attractive. The stranger had probably gotten his facts wrong!

As I walked, the forest darkened, my eyes craving for vision. All I could see was a sea of black, and it suddenly became cold. Was my nightmare coming true now? Panic took over; I broke into a cold sweat as I looked behind at the way I came from, wondering if I should turn back. Realising I was already in the middle of the forest, I shook the thought off.

Luckily, my phone still had some battery life left so I turned on the torch. Phones are lifesavers, I thought with a sigh of relief. The feeling of someone watching me passed over me, yet looking back I found no one. An unexpected breeze brushed against me and I shivered in fear, I quickly turned to look in the opposite direction, only to find no one there. I let out a big sigh. For once it was a good thing to be alone.

My tread continued, but I was unable to shake the feeling that something creepy was following me. I was glancing back continuously. Oh! Please dont let my nightmare come true, I thought as I prayed.

I continued through the forest without encountering anything else. The only difference from my dream was that I hadnt lost my way. Knowing I would reach my destination, I continued
walking at a fast pace, ignoring the nagging feeling in my head. I started remembering all the horror movies I had watched, and the worst part was that I was actually talking to the ghost of whatever was following me. Coming out more like a chant, than prayer, as I continued.

Please dont do anything to me, please, dont! I blurted into the silence. Who talks to ghosts these days? But, to my surprise, it worked, as the feeling of someone watching me disappeared.

After what seemed like ages, Faber College finally appeared in front of me, standing on the outskirts of the forest. A sigh of relief escaped my mouth, followed by a victorious smile at the sight of the building. I had made it through the forest!

Here you go Ella, finally starting a new life, I said to myself with a bright smile playing on my lips while looking up at the huge structure in front of me. I walked towards the building made of bricks with its tinted windows, taking in its height and estimating that it was three stories tall.

Wow! I exclaimed, at the many students that passed by me. Some were seated on the benches around the campus, some were standing around, and others were walking to where they
needed to be. The campus looked completely different from where I came. This was like what they show in the movies. Unreal!

I never thought I would get to study in such a building, let alone such a prestigious college. It seemed like all of Linntown studied here.All the girls were dressed to perfection and seemed to be
wearing branded and chic clothing. The boys were no less, dressed in dashing smart clothes, in jeans and button-up shirts.

It looked like that was the dress code here.I soon became very conscious of what I was wearing, dressed in blue denim jeans with a baby pink t-shirt that was slightly torn because it was old. Despite that though, I was grateful for what I had. Miss Tina had given me some of Roses clothes before
I left since hand-me-downs were the only thing an orphan could get. It was hard living without parents but, I thank God I had Miss Tina as a guardian.

Pushing aside the thoughts of how everyone would judge my clothes from my mind, I walked further onto the campus. I wanted to explore this newfound joy.Before I could get far though, a girl emerged from nowhere and stopped me in my tracks. She looked completely different from all the other students, dressed in black skinny jeans with a white t-shirt. Her black hair was in a long bob and her hazel brown eyes made her look cute. But the thing that struck me the most, she wore no make-up, just like me.

Maybe she had also received a scholarship, I thought. I sent her a bright smile, thinking I had already made a friend when I had just arrived.Hello, my name is Lauren. You must be the girl who received the scholarship, right? She asked, holding out her hand.

Hi, yes, Im Ella Thompson, but how did you know I was the one who had received the scholarship? Is it that obvious? I asked her, shaking her hand, as I gave her a confused look.

I went to the deans office and happened to see your photo, and the scholarship you have received. Everyone strives for it, but only one person gets it because its not just for a term or two, its until you finish your education here. So being the nosy person I am, I just had to know, she stated with excitement as she laughed.

Yeah, I can imagine. I too was so excited when I heard I received a scholarship here, I replied.

Believe me; you wont regret a single moment you spend here. Its the best college, she said.

Oh yeah, well see. So, did you get the second type of scholarship? I asked her since there were two types of scholarships for this college. The first one, only one person received and it lasts until the person finishes their college education, while the second one, lasts only for a term. After the term ends, the performance of the student is reviewed, and if they did well, the student receives another scholarship for another term, but if they did bad, the
student is expelled.

No, she laughed. I pay fees here.

Oh okay, I am sorry, I apologised, feeling guilty for having thought that.
Its fine, really. I dont like looking like those rich brats who only come here to pass time, Lauren said with a smile.

Thats probably the reason why I thought you received the second type of scholarship. Its really nice to meet you, I said in greeting.

Oh, its nice to meet you too. I am glad I found someone like me, she said, with a wink. I didnt comment after that. A weird silence fell between us until I decided to finally break the awkward atmosphere, Okay then, see you later. I have to go to the Deans office to collect some forms and also check in which direction my hostel is in.

Okay! I will see you later then, she said, walking away.