-03-

"Are you...are you serious?"

Her hair was a mess ontop of her hair, dark and ravenous. The tank top she wore matched her hair and showcased her protruding stomach that left Callie speechless. Her shorts barely helped cover the fact that she had something inside of her.

Specifically, Callie's grandchild.

Audibly, she gasped at the sight, her eyes watering. Though, Joanna couldn't describe what was going on in her eyes. Flashes of emotions were mixed with her tears. Surprise. Joy. And most of all, wonder.

"I'm three months in," she lied, gripping the strings of her grey cotton pajama shorts. "And yes, Jasper's the father."

"Oh," she breathed, hands secured tightly on her jaw as she studied her daughter. The word pregnant was still struggling to find a place in her mind. Sometimes, when she looked at her, all she could see was a hopeless teenager.

Now, she was pregnant and dealing with the hardships of her boyfriend not caring to stand by her side during her term.

Joanna cleared her throat, placing her hands on her stomach. "Everyone is supportive except for Jasper and Edward. They're asshole anyway."

"But Jasper is the love of your life," Callie stated matter-of-factly, eyeing her daughter suspiciously. "And Edward is your friend. That family is insane besides the parents. I haven't even met Jasper yet."

"He probably won't appear here anymore with me being pregnant," Joanna grumbled, rubbing her stomach without acknowledging it. Callie noticed and suddenly placed her own hands upon her daughter's stomach. A beautiful grin covered her dark complexion. "That's the baby. So beautiful and slimy most likely."

"It's just...unbelievable," Callie admitted, glancing up at her eldest daughter before focusing on the baby once more. "Of course I'm delighted about this! Thrilled, actually, but it's just a lot to take in." She frowned for a moment, narrowing her hazel eyes in thought. Then, she babbled, "Oh, we have to get some many things! I'll call Sue and we'll start on preparing quilts for the baby. We can use an old crib of mine. Oh, I'm so excited."

The Clearwaters.

No message was sent to Leah since the day she found out she was pregnant. Calls her were sent her way and so were voicmails; urgent and concerned for her wellbeing. Luckily enough, Callie was always there to supply the family with any information they needed.

Frantically, Joanna waved her hands around. "If I could, I would like to talk to Leah by myself."

Callie cocked her head to the side, curious on why her daughter wanted to do this. Wasn't she always the girl who was akward around others in serious situations? Now, she was changing. Her mother didn't know if it was for the better or the worse.

"You better give her a call then." Her mother gestured to the phone that hung on the wall. The old phone was just begging for some attention. "Out of all of them, Leah's been the most worried for you. You were always her best friend growing up."

The words poked another hole in her heart. Callie left her alone, babbling on about setting up a room for the child.

Joanna's heart fluttered, but only increasing as she dialed Leah's number on the house phone. The peach-colored phone made Joanna gag in distaste before Leah's voice came into her line of hearing,

"Jo?! Please, tell me you're Jo."

A tight smile covered her lips after she explained, "The one and only. How's my favorite Leah-girl?"

There a long moment of awkward silence. She could hear Leah moving around, grunting at her brother before she returned to the phone. "This isn't about me. What's up with you not answering me?"