🍿(1)

Butter. Waaaaay too much of it.

Kas anticipated that he'd never evade the stupid smell. It was always everywhere. Some days were more tolerable than others, but it was still annoying.

It didn't matter that the place always smelled like an intense amount of butter; leftover popcorn was actually a pretty filling meal. Kas wasn't about to complain; food was food. He never had many other options anyway when it came to food, unless he managed a piece of an m&m or a sour patch kid head or some other odd bit of snacks or treats.

Besides, on days when the smell was unbearable he always had the option of sneaking to the roof of the theater. When the weather was nice, as it often was in Arkansas, Kas could sit still and let the sun and the breeze melt his cares away, or on clear nights he could look at all the stars. He loved the outdoors, but darkness was his life, and he was used to it. It wasn't all bad, really. Darkness was familiar, and it meant cover, safety. It meant being left alone, and no risk of being caught.

And in every room, dark it was. Perfect.

The theater would close in about an hour but that didn't mean he couldn't pass the time. Kas never got bored, unless they played the movie way too many times for far too long, but that meant he could always choose to watch a different one. So Kas was killing time, waiting for the opportune time to borrow. He sat in a slightly slanted vent in the wall right under the ceiling, peeking out of the grate at the big screen. The movie playing in front of and down below him was about "star wars" and called something like "rise of a sky-walker", and he'd seen bits and parts of it now about three times. It wasn't all of it, but he could somewhat piece together most of the plot with what he had. He would like to watch the whole thing because so many humans showed up each night to watch it, so it had to be good. He didn't really know quite exactly what was happening, but what he saw he still enjoyed. He'd lived in this theater long enough to know that this movie was likely a sequel and for full context he would need to watch any previous films, which he had no access to, but he didn't mind.

The credits began to roll again, and as the lights slowly faded back on, Kas noticed that quite surprisingly the theater wasn't too full. Was it a Monday? Mondays were often pretty empty.

As the film finished, he got prepared to move to the next room, where something animated was playing that he could watch the rest of while he waited for closing time. He anticipated having to wait a few minutes for more humans to leave. He was far enough back that the seats nearby were fairly close and a few of them were actually occupied, which was a surprise. No one ever sat back here unless it was full. They most likely wouldn't be paying him any attention anyway, but can't be too careful.

What he didn't anticipate was someone yelping directly beneath him and getting splashed in the face with some ice cold soda. Catching him off guard, Kas jumped, lost his footing and felt himself tipping over, and before he could react he was falling.

He was expecting to hit a hard, unforgiving floor, so he felt very confused when he landed on something soft, or rather in something soft, and dark. Kas couldn't see a thing, and upon some moving around and touching his surroundings, he came to the cold, harsh realization: he was in someone's bag.

While the quieter part of his mind wondered who the hell brings an entire backpack to see a movie, the louder part screamed at him to GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE. Doing his best to stay calm, Kas did his best to make his way out of the bag's unyielding material. He looked up and out of the bag'a zipper pocket and could make out the ceiling. He was almost out! All he'd have to do was climb down to the floor and then-

"Ok, you're never coming to the theater with me ever again."

Kas froze. That voice sounded so close!