•WHAT HAPPENED TO JANE?•

•••
I wish I could tell you a happy story.
This is not a happy story.
•••

I didn't remember waking up. I just suddenly ... was. I do remember the light though. It was if I were seeing it for the first time. I had to blink my eyes several time to adjust to the burning rays. I felt disorientated. Dizzy. Everything seemed like it was in slow motion. The slow beat of what sounded like a heart rate monitor invaded my inner thought, pulling me from the depths of my subconscious into reality.

"Oh my god, I think she's awake!"

"Get Dr. Byrne immediately!"

The voices sounded like far away thunder, and I moved my head from side to side, trying to reset my brain as if it were an etchasketch. Everything felt numb and blurry. Where was I? Why? What is happening? It hurt to try and answer those questions myself, as I had a pounding in my head that wouldn't go away.

I continued to blink my eyes, colors streaking across my vision as they struggled to put together the entire picture. Slowly I was able to ground myself and put together a hazy version of what was happening.

I was in a hospital. I was laying in one of those stretched out beds in a pale blue hospital gown covered by a starched white sheet. There were people. I blinked a couple more times, trying desperately to make things more clear. Two people; man and a woman dressed in colorful scrubs and who I could only assume were nurses. My head aches as I tried to form coherent thoughts. Why am I in a hospital?

Suddenly I saw a woman rush in wearing a bleached white coat. This must be the doctor. Maybe she'd have some answers for me. As she approached me, I could see she was middle age or slightly older. Her fading blonde hair had streaks of grey in it that were noticeable even in her tightly pulled back bun. She had cold ice blue eyes and straight-line lips that looked like they didn't smile much.

"Jane? Jane can you hear me?" Her words sounded as if they were being spoken into an echo chamber, and I squeezed my eyes shut in an attempt to ground myself again.

"Jane? Jane I need you to focus. Look at me and just relax. I know you're probably very co fused right now." The woman's voice began to sound more steady and I opened my eyes to meet hers again. "That's good. Can you hear me Jane? Can you see?" She quickly snapped a thin flashlight out of one of the deep pockets on her coat and shone it in my eyes. It happened so quickly I was hardly able to react. "Normal eye movement and response to stimulus. You're doing great Jane."

I took a deep breathe in through my nose and breathed out slowly, thinking about what I wanted to say very carefully. "Who's... Jane?" It came out as pathetic whisper, but it was a question none the less. The doctor's face remained stony and practically unreadable. "Unfortunately we haven't been able to identify you since taking you into our care, so we've had to classify you as a Jane Doe for the time being. We sent out a physical description and picture of you to several police departments, but you didn't match any of their missing person profiles. I won't burden you with questions right now, as it's a miracle you even woke up after this long, but apparently you're quite the celebrity Jane. Now I've got to go make some phone calls, nurses Holloway and Anderson will look after you in the meantime." She stopped, staring at me for a second before standing up and walking away in a hurried but composed manner.

"I just cannot believe you're awake, this is so exciting!" A new, more bubbly voice made its way to my ears as I turned to see a shorter woman in baby pink scrubs. "Hello darling, I'm nurse Anita Holloway, but you can just call me Anita. Me and Adam will be looking after you while you're here!" Anita wore a friendly smile spread across her face. She had deep olive skin, and eyes so dark they could be black. Her brown black hair matched the color scheme of her eyes, pulled back in a long ponytail. She had the glow of youth, but her face was slightly aged, so I guessed she must be in her early thirties.