•JAMES SNOW•

"What is this?!"

Anita gave me a look mixed with shock and sympathy. "Jane, please. Dr. Byrne will explain everything she can soon, but you cannot panic. It's okay. You're in safe hands."

My mind was racing. My hands were shaking as I let my gown down. "I don't understand..." I whispered, and I could feel tears brim in the corners of my eyes out of frustration. "Did...did I do this?"

Anita bit her lip before slowly bending down and cleaning up the mess she'd made with the tray. "Actually that's part of the reason why I came back in here. Since you came here under such...unusual circumstances, the police are very intrigued by your case. Actually, an agent from the FBI was even called in. Handsome fellow. He wanted to be alerted as soon as you woke up, if you did that is. But Dr. Byrne wants you to rest for atleast a couple of days before you talk to any of the authorities. We need to establish just how bad your amnesia is and whatever other trauma your body may have."

I was silent. I didn't know what to say. Something had happened to me. Something bad. The police? The FBI? This was bad. Slow tears made their way down my cheeks. I didn't want this. I didn't want to be here. I wished I were somewhere, anywhere, else. I wished that none of this were real. It didn't feel real. Nothing feels real when you can't even remember your own name.

Anita cleaned up the rest of her mess in silence before getting up and sitting on the edge of my bed. She looked at me with her kind eyes, and for a moment, I felt comfort. "I have two children myself, a boy and a girl. Rowdy little things." She let out a brief chuckle. "And I can't imagine anything happening to them like what's happened to you. And I can't imagine them being all alone either. So Jane darling... It might not be very professional, but I just wanted to say that I'm here for you, both as a nurse and otherwise." Again she clasped one of my hands in hers.

More tears made their way down my cheeks, but they weren't out of frustration this time. She was just so kind. I knew nothing about this woman, and this woman knew nothing about me, but here she was offering her entirety as support. "Thank you..." I practically whispered, beginning to feel quite groggy. I was becoming acutely aware of how sore my body felt. I felt exhausted after all the information that I have had to process about my situation, and yet I was still no closer to any answers.

"Now, I think you should try and get some rest... it's going to be a bit of a circus for the next couple of days." She gave my hands a gentle squeeze before standing up and taking the tray with her out of the room. And then I was alone. Even though my mind was racing, it didn't take too long for my body to take over and send me back into a deep sleep.

—•••—
"Jane? Jane I'm sorry to wake you up."

The words were blurry at first, as if I were listening to a conversation from another room.

"Jane?"

But eventually I regained consciousness to find Dr. Byrne standing over me with her hard blue eyes and a clipboard. "I'm sorry to wake you, but we need to begin a medical assessment of you. And unfortunately, as much as I am against it, there's an agent from the bureau here that has just insisted on speaking with you. I told him you've only been out of the coma for a day and that you haven't been able to retain any past memories yet, but I was overruled on the matter." She rolled her eyes, clearly annoyed by the fact that her orders had been passed by.

I sat up, remembering what Anita and I had discussed before my slumber. Remembering the ugly jagged scars on my stomach. I wanted to throw up. "I just want to know what happened..." I spoke, not meaning to sound as scared as I really was.