Chapter 1

I sat in the kitchen as I drew in my sketchbook when I heard a knock on the door. I thought maybe it was David coming over to hang out. He always showed up without warning, but I didn't complain. With my dad being gone it was quiet. So when he came over it was nice to have another person around.

I got up and made my way to the door. I didn't see anyone outside as I passed by the window but it didn't mean David was playing a joke on me. He liked to prank me.

Starting to laugh to myself, I opened the door. "Why are you-" He stopped me in my tracks as I stared at him speechless not being able to make sense of it in my mind. I couldn't seem to form the words as I continued to stare at him. "Will..." I finally said as he stared back. He didn't smile. He didn't say a word. He just stood there in his uniform looking at me.

"How... Why.... I don't..." I couldn't figure out what to say. Or how he was here. He was gone. They told me he died. There was no way I was seeing him standing in front of me.

He reached out and put his hand on my arm. "Aria." He said.

I stared at him. Waiting for him to go on but all he did is repeat my name over and over. I wanted to yell at him. I wanted him to explain. I kept asking what. But he just kept saying my name.

"Aria."

His voice seemed far away but he stood in front of me. He started shaking my arm. "Aria. Wake up."

I was confused. I didn't understand what he meant.

"Aria. Wake up!" He yelled.

I opened my eyes seeing my dad at the edge of my bed with a worried look on his face. Looking at my dad I sat up and tears began to escape as I realized it was a dream and he wasn't coming back. Before I knew it my dad was hugging me knowing that I missed Will more than anything. There have been many times my dad has found me on the floor, emotionless, not being able to move. After I had heard the news him and Chris had kept watch of me just to make sure I wouldn't do anything to hurt myself. Death was hard, but living was harder.

"I just wanted to come in and say goodbye. I'm leaving today for Afghanistan. If you need anything at all Mrs. Smith is a phone call away and Chris can come over whenever. I don't like the idea of David coming over without someone else here but I guess I can make the exception. You're an adult."

I never really noticed that my dad was in uniform as he sat on my bed hugging me. "Dad..."

"Yeah?" He asked not letting go of me.

"Do you really have to go?" I already knew the answer but I guess I just had to hear it one last time.

"Yes I have to go. I will only be there for a couple months at the most. I'll be back home before you know it."

I looked up at him with my tear stained face. "Please write to me as much as you can. Call me if you ever get a chance. Do whatever you can do to keep in contact."

He smiled and got up. "You know I will baby girl. Stay safe and make good choices. I'll be home before you know it."

I watched as he walked out of my room. I tried remembering what he looked like before he completely disappeared out of my view. When I heard the front door shut I walked to my window and watched my dad throw his bag in the back of his truck and get in. He waved to me one last time before he backed out of the driveway. I've never been away from my dad longer than a couple of days since I had come to live with him. Two months are going to be harder than he thinks.

Soooooo! Did I trick you at first?! Give me some feedback. Tell me how your quarantine is going! Entertain me. If anyone has any questions about this story or any others feel free to message me. Every story I write has a meaning behind it and is based on a real life situation. Everyone that has been written about is based on a person who is or has been in my life. So vote and comment! Would love to see what you guys have to say!