Chapter 3

I woke up with David's arms still wrapped around me as he slept peacefully. I didn't want to wake him as I tried my hardest to escape from his arms. There was just something about him.

After I made my way downstairs I sat at the counter in the kitchen waiting for my coffee to brew. When I looked at the time it was almost 11 A.m. and I smile when I saw mrs. Smiths kids playing in their front yard across the street. I've always wondered what it would be like to have kids. To love them and give them the best life you possibly could. To give them a better life that I had, a life with both parents in the household. 

My phone buzzed and Chris's name popped up on the screen with a message stating that she was on her way over because she hadn't heard from me and was tired of me not answering her calls or texts. I smiled and texted back saying okay. As I hit send I heard a knock at the door.

There was a newer Chevy pickup in the driveway, but it was definitely one I had never seen before and I know Chris could never afford a truck like that. I walked to the door and saw a guy about 5'10 standing on the porch, his arms crossed, as he looked out toward the road. As I opened the door he turned around and looked at me. Before he could say anything I slammed the door shut.

"He's not real. This isn't real. I'm dreaming." I said out loud. "It's just a dream." I looked out the window and he was standing there a little confused, but you could see the hurt in his eyes.

I heard another vehicle pull up only to see Chris with the most surprised look on her face too. By this time I knew it wasn't a dream even though I had wished it was.

Chris flew through the door once again slamming it. She looked at me and then at the door. "But..." she murmured. By this time David was awake and coming down the stairs to wonder what was going on. Chris looked at me even more surprised. "Did he..?" She said not find the words she wanted to say.

I just stood there looking at her. Not knowing what to say at all. I had no words. I had no clue what was going at all. David looked at both of us kinda worried with the look on our faces.

"Does someone want to tell me what is happening?!" She finally said. She looked back and forth between me and David. "You spent the night?!" She said scowling at David. "Are you two a thing now?!" By this time she was starting to raise her voice more. "R do you wanna tell me if that's actually who the fuck I think it is outside!" 

David looked at me and then back to her. "Yeah I did. I hadn't heard from R so I came over to check on her." He said before he got quiet and looked at me again. "Who's outside?" He asked trying to avoid the second question that was asked.

"Will..." I managed to whisper.

"Who?" David asked.

"Her dead boyfriend." Chris said blatantly. "As you can tell. He's not very dead, is he?"

By this time my anxiety was creeping in and I couldn't handle the situation anymore. "I'll be upstairs" I said quietly as I headed toward the stair case.

Chris and David just looked at each other not sure what to do with the guy who's been standing outside for the past ten minutes. "You go help her. I'll deal with him." Chris finally said as she motioned David to leave.

"Are you sure?" He asked.

"Yes I'm sure. I know him. You have never met him before and I don't think he needs to be introduced to R's new man the first time he decides to show up after the army said he was dead. Now go on. I'll be fine. Make sure R is okay."