Chapter Five: The Secret

PREVIOUSLY ...

With the Aurelias still a threat, Bea has begun crafting a mystical weapon to defeat it.

Melody has given into her feelings for Jungkook, but still keeps her most precious secret from him.

With Princess Nova and the Seven Sons yet to decide on the marriage alliance, the fate of Etheria is unclear.

Affairs of state have become intertwined with affairs of the heart.

But does that refer to Jungkook and Melody, or Jimin and Nova?

Or someone else?

NOVA'S P. O. V.

"You're not even going to admit that Jimin is easy on the eyes?" Halo twirled her hair flirtatiously with one finger, eyebrows going up and down at butterfly speed. "Not even a teensy bit?"

I rolled my eyes, slotting my book back onto the shelf and opening my mouth to answer, but Willow beat me to it.

"Might I remind you that you have a mate?" She said. "His name is Prince Hoseok?"

"I didn't say Jimin was better looking," Halo replied coyly. "I just think if Nova's going to be ogling our brother-in-law all day she might as well own up to the fact that she likes him."

"I don't like him," I said, a little too quickly to be assuring. I regained my composure and tried again. "We don't get along. Jimin hates me and even if he had a slight—slight—tolerance for me, it wouldn't matter. He doesn't wish to be king."

Hoseok's mate just shrugged. "You'd be surprised what men do for love."

He doesn't love me, I wanted to say, but the words stuck in my throat. As I brushed a line of dust away from the spine of a book, my mind wandered to my last conversation with the prince ...

A FEW DAYS AGO ...

"Are you ashamed of me?" I asked, partly in jest, but also curiosity.

Jimin shrugged, a wicked glint in his eye. "Of course. You're hideous. You'll ruin my reputation."

I shoved him. "Do you only associate with beautiful women?"

"I'm a prince, I have standards."

"And this is why you always ask to meet me here, in the library, away from prying eyes?"

"Yes. If the court witnessed our friendship, they might get the wrong idea."

I pulled up short, stopping our walk in the middle of the aisle we were in. "Friendship, did you say?"

Jimin paused with me, giving a deep sigh and tucking his hands into his pockets. He leaned his back against the bookshelves and looked at me.

It was quite frustrating, the way the light from the stained glass windows patterned his cheeks like tiny rainbows. In the time we'd been getting acquainted, I'd tried to discourage those kinds of thoughts from invading my mind—thoughts of how beautiful he was without even trying, or how much I wanted to inch closer until I could feel the fire the way I had that time he'd pushed me against the wall.