Chapter Six: The Ultimatum

PREVIOUSLY ...

Amidst the twists and turns of Etherian court, Jimin and Princess Nova managed to address their growing affections.

They're not the only ones.

Escaped slave Melody has found herself swept into a passionate romance with Prince Jungkook, and Jin continues his secret relationship with palace servant, Isla.

However, Etheria needs a king, and with Jimin still adamant that he will never take the throne, Nova's choices are few.

Love must give way to the duty of rulers.

WILLOW'S P. O. V.

"Wake up, sweetheart."

The hand on my shoulder was warm and familiar, but I grumbled and pulled the covers over my head. "It's not morning ..."

"I know, but you have to get up."

I peeled my eyes open, meeting the handsome face of my mate. But something was off. His features were riddled with concern. "Tae?"

It was then that I noticed the noise. Loud shouts from outside, as well as the disturbed footsteps running up and down the halls beyond our chambers. I became a little bit more awake. "What's happened?"

Taehyung, already dressed, gently pulled me into a sitting position. "There's a mob at the gates. The people of the citadel are protesting, and there's a chance they'll cause some real damage. Namjoon has called my brothers and I to meet in the main hall. You're coming with me, because I don't want to leave you alone right now." He kissed my temple. "Come on, get dressed."

I hurried to throw on a gown and a shawl to fight the night chill, my worry increasing with every step. When I was ready, Taehyung took my hand.

"Don't be frightened, everything will be fine."

I knew why he was on edge. A mob of humans couldn't do much against a pack of seven alphas, but we had a lot of humans within the palace to protect.

I was one of those humans, which meant any danger was amplified by my mate.

When we exited our rooms, Taehyung grabbed my hand. "Keep close. We don't know if anyone has managed to breach the castle."

I nodded, and followed him along the hallway, winding down the stairs, passing by flurries of frantic servants and court guests. Everything seemed to be in chaos—the Sons had prepared for an attack from neighbouring kingdoms, not from their own people.

It was too much like last time.

I could still recall the day it had happened—it was sliced into my mind like a fresh wound. All of a sudden, we had been waking up to screams and cries as the Etherian people had surrounded the palace, the famine caused by the neighbouring kingdoms disrupting trade inciting panic.

They'd rioted in the streets, set fire to palace property, painted slogans on the walls, demanding that their king provide for them, and protect them.

Instead, the king ran.

His cowardice followed my mate and his brothers, and possibly would for the rest of their lives.