Chapter Seven: The Trap

PREVIOUSLY ...

The people of Etheria threatened to remove the royals from power if the marriage alliance failed to be confirmed.  Tension rose as the brothers argued over who would be the next king.

Jimin, in love with the princess, but afraid of the weight of a crown.

Seokjin, noble to the end, but secretly giving palace servant, Isla, his heart.

Jungkook, beloved by the people, but belonging, heart and soul, to Melody.

Out of the darkness, comes the Aurelias.

It does not care for court intrigue, its only goal is to enslave Freya in payment for her parents' wish.

With its threat looming, a decision had to be made.

Jungkook will be king. 

MELODY'S P. O. V.

I fixed the clip into the princess' hair, arranging the netted veil around her shoulders. "There you are, Your Highness."

In the mirror reflection, Princess Nova's smile was weak. "Thank you, Melody. It looks lovely. It's a fine testament to your skill, Isla."

Working on her hem, the seamstress, Isla, bowed her head. "It's not quite done yet, Highness. I'll have to adjust the length, but it'll be finished before the wedding day."

My fingers stilled at the mention of it. As if, without the actual words, I could pretend that none of it was real. That I wasn't risking my life by being in the palace. And the man that I loved wasn't about to marry another woman.

The princess' eyes met mine in the mirror. She knew. She'd warned me about getting close to Jungkook, that our predicaments made it impossible for us to be together, but I'd fallen for him anyway.

I couldn't even be upset at her. The man she loved refused to marry her.

"I still think you could have picked something more daring." Lady Halo, Prince Hoseok's mate, sat in the window seat with a book. The other royal ladies were strewn about the fitting room, examining fabrics or jewellery, each trying to mask their discomfort. They knew it was an unwilling marriage, but there was nothing anybody could do about it.

"What about a slit up the thigh?" Lady Halo continued, drawing her own dress a little way up her leg for emphasis. "Or a plunging neckline?"

"If she did that, the officiator might have a heart attack," Freya said. "He's nearly seventy."

"At least then they'd have to delay the wedding." The princess' tone was bleak.

Halo scrunched up her nose and slid a look to Lady Freya. "With any luck, the Aurelias will kill us all before then."

"Don't say that," she shot back. "Don't curse us."

"I wasn't. I was merely reiterating the mortal danger we're in."

"It's not fit wedding discussion."

"Nova might want to talk about something besides her marriage to Jungkook," Willow ventured from the corner, "who's stupidly being the bigger man to make up for his older brothers."