Real (Derek Shepard x OC)

Derek felt like things were finally going well in his life

He had been in a marriage that had ended with his wife cheating on him.

Then his relationship with Meredith ended when she caused them to lose custody of Zola. Derek knew that this was something that he could never forgive her.

There had been others here and there, but it all ended when he met Caitlyn.

First thing that caught his attention was her incredible smile. He had never seen one so lively. Even while being rolled into the ER on a gurney. She still managed to have a smile on her face.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Shepard. I heard that you took quite the fall today." And after that the rest was history.

Caitlyn worked as a firefighter, so she visited the hospital quite often. After her third time in the ER, Derek built up his courage to ask the stunning woman out.

Now, he and Caitlyn had been dating for 4 months.

One night after work Derek went to Joe's with Mark, Owen and Richard. A co-workers night out.

"So how are things with little birdy going?" Mark asked smirking.

"First off all, not little birdy. It's Caitlyn. And secondly, things have been going great."

"Is she joining us tonight?" Owen asked out of curiosity.

"No, she's on call tonight." Derek said sipping his beer.

"So how serious is it really? The woman is much younger than you. Are you sure it's not just a midlife crisis you are going through right now?" Mark asked not knowing how to feel about the relationship his friend was in.

"She's not a midlife crisis. She's the real thing." Derek answered putting his beer down onto the table. He reached his hand into his coat pocket and pulled a square shaped box out of it.

"Is that what I think it is?" Richard asked raising his eyebrows.

None of the three men who were at the bar with Derek knew that he felt that deeply for his newfound love.

"As I said, she's the real thing." With that said he placed the box back inside his coat pocket to wait for the right moment.