the aftermath

Ana Sofia Hernandez dropped her jaw at the list.

"Congrats." Ricky smiled at her and held his arms out for a hug, which Ana Sofia ran past to her annoyed friend who was walking away.

"Gina! Gina wait!" The sophomore girl stopped, crossing her arms.

"You know I didn't want that part right? I wanted to be Sharpay, I auditioned for Sharpay. I didn't ask to be Gabriella, and I never meant to steal your part away."

The girl opposite her dropped her arms and sighed, dropping her annoyed look. "I know. Besides, I wouldn't have got the part anyway. I'm not even the understudy." She scoffed.

"Hey, not being the understudy doesn't mean that you're not as good as Nini was."

"It kinda does."

"Nini might have got the understudy because Kelsi isn't as significant a character as Taylor. The show could go on without Kelsi, but without Taylor, Gabriella doesn't have anyone to push her away from musical theatre."

"Shut up." The girl shook her head, lightly smiling.

"Gina, this is the first time you've ever been an understudy. Don't doubt your own talent, there are so many other reasons than just talent that you didn't get Gabriella. You're amazing."

"Thanks, Ana, I needed that."

"Happy to help. We're cool, right?"

"Completely." The two girls embraced in a hug and Gina walked off to go.

Ana Sofia turned around to see Ricky Bowen standing and smiling at her. "How about that hug, buttercup?"

The skater boy held out his arms for her to run into and hug him.

"I can't believe it."

"You were awesome, Princess. I can't believe you wrote that song yourself."

She moved out of the hug and looked up at him.

"Me? What about you? That song was gorgeous, and why didn't you tell me you had such an amazing voice?"

"I've never really done anything like this before."

"Well, allow me to be the first one to welcome you to the wonderful and chaotic cult that is musical theatre, Troy Bolton."

"There is no one else I would rather have to welcome me, Gabriella Montez."

They hugged again and Ricky kissed the top of her head.

"We are such theatre nerds." Her voice was muffled from his chest.

"I guess we are. Do you wanna go get a coffee or something?"

The teenage girl stepped out of the hug. "Coffee sounds great right now, just let me go change."

"Why do you need to change? You look great."

"Aw, you're so sweet. But this is a dance outfit, I need to get into a regular outfit. Also I did a lot of dancing in this so I need to change since I won't have time to go home for a shower."

"Alright. I'll wait here."

"You're too sweet." She got up on her tiptoes and lightly pecked his cheek before walking off to the restroom, leaving Ricky with a dumbstruck look.

Nini walked past him on the arm of EJ Caswell, expecting her ex-boyfriend to at least acknowledge her presence. However, Ricky Bowen was otherwise occupied staring after where Ana Sofia Hernandez had disappeared a few seconds earlier.