the room

After storming out of the auditorium, Ana Sofia Hernandez ran through the corridors to find Ricky.

She eventually ended up outside the school, and had to stop for a second to catch her breath. She looked around, but couldn't see Ricky.

The girl took her phone out and clicked on Ricky's contact. No answer.

"Hey, you've reached Ricky's voicemail, leave a message after the yeet- beep, I meant beep, god, is there anyway I can re-do this?"

The girl found herself smiling at Ricky's voice. "Hey bubba, I'm gonna come find you, OK? Text me where you are, I'm going to the skate park first and then your house. Alright, talk to you later bye."

She walked over to her car and drove to the skate park, looking for Ricky on the way there.

She walked into the place where she'd met her best friend that summer, frowning as she saw the curly haired boy sat down, holding his head in his hands.

She sat down next to him and wrapped her arm around him, allowing the sad boy to rest his head on his shoulder.

"What's up, bubba?"

"I'm quitting the musical."

"Why?"

"The only reason I joined the musical was so I could spend more time with this girl that I like."

"Right. Nini." The girl felt her heart sink as she thought about it. "I know you like her, but I hate that girl." The latina laid her head on top of the curly haired boy's.

"You hate Nini?"

"Yup."

"Why?"

"Because she told you she loved you and then found another boyfriend about a week later. That's not cool. Not to mention what she said to you earlier, she's such a self-entitled perra."

"Wow, you uh, you really don't like, do you?"

"No. Don't expect me to anytime soon."

"That's alright."

"Can I tell you something honestly?"

Ricky felt his heart flutter in anticipation.

"Yeah, of course, you know you can tell me anything, princess."

"I just, I don't think Nini is right for you. I know you love her and all, she just -"

"She what?"

"She doesn't deserve you. You're such a sweet, amazing guy and she's kind of annoying. But you love her, and if you're happy, then I'm happy."

"I don't -" The boy ran his hand through his hair and sighed.

"You don't what, bubba?"

"I don't - love Nini."

"What? But all that stuff you said at the audition, about not saying being able to say the l word, wasn't that about her?"

"No, well, it kinda was when I started saying it, but then... I realised that I don't care about Nini anymore."

"So you finally got over her? Took you long enough."

"Yeah, I guess."

"Look, Ric, just because Nini shouted at you and made you doubt yourself, does not mean you should quit the musical."

"I think it does."

"No, it doesn't. Sure, maybe you could improve at dancing, but you have the voice of an angel and when you put passion into your acting, you're amazing at it. You deserve that part, Ricky, don't let Nini or anyone else tell you otherwise."