Chapter Four

I paced back and forth on the floor, hand not moving from my chin. I couldn't stop replaying what happened with Hades in my mind as Mal explained to Evie and I last night's events. Apparently, her mother's scepter and the crown she would be wearing soon from the Museum in the middle of the night. The cameras had been turned off in that exhibit, so they had no idea who did it yet, but with the recent panic, all eyes were back on the former residents of the Isle.

"Who else knows about the crown and scepter?" I finally asked, after letting the story hang in the air for too long.

"No one. I mean, think about it, people are scared enough as it is. We have to employ these entirely new security measures."

"Will this delay our bringing over more VKs?" Evie interjected. Mal's face changed, but not in a good way.

"We're talking about closing the barrier for good." My arms slumped slightly. Closing the barrier for good? That would mean the rest of those VKs would be trapped over there, not to mention the ones here now would never get to see their parents again. Hades was one incident that could be managed.

"But you said no. I mean, the five of us are living the dream here, and we finally get to share that. I mean, what could be more important than that?"

"Yeah, I know." Mal shook her head, as though trying to come up with some sort of answer, before taking a seat and sighing. "I mean, maybe security. Or maybe peace of mind for everyone in Auradon."

"Is that what they're thinking?" Evie demanded. I flinched slightly at how harsh her tone sounded. I'd never really heard her get this fired up before. "M, were they seriously thinking that no one will ever go in and out of the Isle ever again? What, we never get to go back and see our parents? And what about these kids? We promised them that they could go back and visit whenever they wanted."

"Yeah, I know."

"M, I'm so glad that you are going to be queen." She reached out and took her friend's hand. You'll be part of those conversations, you will stand up for the VKs. Thank you for telling me." She pulled Mal into a tight hug. "And you'll be a great queen."

Mal and Evie both got this look on their face, and right then, I got a text from Jon, asking if we could meet up. I sighed and held my phone up, smiling at the girls.

"I'm being summoned. I'll see you guys later."

Unfortunately, I didn't make it far before I heard a strange crash of thunder coming from the castle. I wanted to go and see whatever Jon wanted, but it would have to wait. I turned on my heel and rushed back to the castle, finding the others outside with... some old lady? It wasn't until I got a little closer that I realized that old woman was Mal! Jay reached for her, likely thinking she had just fallen, but when he realized she'd been spelled, he flinched.

"Uh... you might wanna think of a spell for that."

"There's no spell that can reverse the curse of the scepter," Mal explained slowly.

"Well, that's a shame..." Carlos trailed off. We both looked to each other, shrugging. What else could be done?

"Forget about me. Audrey's out for revenge and all of Auradon is in danger." Audrey was doing this. Why didn't that surprise me at all?

"What should we do? The only thing more powerful than the scepter is Hades' ember."

I stiffened a little. Getting that from someone like Hades, it wasn't going to be easy. In fact, it may as well be impossible. He'd never liked our little group for whatever reason, and now that we'd blasted him back into the Isle, I'm sure any chances at favors had been completely run out.

"Oh, like he's gonna just hand it over if you blew him back to the Isle," I scoffed.

"No one knows where his lair is."

"I do," Celia informed us. "I'm his errand rat. I've got the key at my dad's."

"You're coming." The young girl rolled her eyes and groaned.

"But I just got here," she protested.

"Mal?" We turned our heads to see Dizzy standing in the doorway, holding the twins' hands. Once they laid eyes on her, Dizzy screamed, while the twins flinched.

"Dizzy, stay here and take care of the twins," Evie ordered. "We'll be right back and everything will be just fine. Go inside." She tapped Jay's arm. "Guys, go get your stuff." Carlos and Jay ran inside to gather up the helmets for our bikes.

"How bad is it?" Evie and I exchanged wary glances as Mal smiled at us with what little teeth she had left. Neither of us wanted to insult her, given how dire the circumstances were, but it was hard to lie in this case. So, instead, Evie answered the question without answering the question.

"You age... beautifully. Now, let's just get you into something fabulous." Evie ushered Mal inside, and I was about to follow them, when my phone rang.

"Hey, Jon."

"Hi, Hera. Where are you?" I had almost forgotten Jon had summoned me.

"Oh, uh, there's been a little... incident." He hummed in acknowledgement, trying to get me to explain. "Audrey kind of stole Maleficent's scepter and the crown and turned Mal into an old lady."

"What?" Thankfully, he sounded like he was taking this seriously.

"We don't know where she's going next, but everyone needs to be cautious, okay?"

"Well, what are you guys doing about that?"

"We're heading to the Isle to get Hades' ember, hopefully. That can reverse the spell Audrey put on Mal, and we may be able to stop her with that. I'll update you once we get back to Auradon." Jon paused for a moment.

"Okay. Stay safe."

"You, too."

Carlos and Jay came back with everyone's helmets, and we got onto our motorcycles, heading to the point where the bridge to the Isle normally would be. I remembered the last time Mal used this spell, and hoped it would work just as well as it did last time.

"Noble steed, proud and fair, you shall take us anywhere."

We sped forward onto the water, and, thankfully, the vehicles carried us all the way across to the Isle.