Chapter Ten

With the danger resolved, I looked over at the pair who had changed Ben back, and a wide smile spread onto my face. Relieved, I pushed past Carlos and sprinted at the two, wrapping them into a hug.

"Hey," laughed, pushing back and smiling at Jane and Jon. "Oh, my gosh, I was so worried."

"You didn't show up." Despite Jane's words, she honestly didn't seem that upset that we'd missed her birthday party.

"I didn't forget your party," I assured her.

"I got scared she got you, too."

"I'm so glad you're both all right." I reached forward and hugged them again, before Carlos and Jay came down the hill, helping Ben. The former came over and wrapped an arm around his waist, and I smiled up at him.

"That was a really brave thing you did back there." I smiled, turning to face him. "I wouldn't say I'm surprised, but I'm definitely impressed."

"Thanks for the support." I sighed and leaned against him as he pulled me into a hug, planting a kiss on the top of my head.

"You good?" Jay asked the man on his arm as he led him over to one of the downed trees. "Take a seat right there, okay? There you go." He helped lower Ben to sit down, and once they both were comfortable, the latter began to laugh.

"Oh, that was funky," he sighed, looking around at all of us.

"It was. There's..." Jay gestured to his chin and teeth, prompting Ben to do the same.

"Huh? Oh, wow." Honestly, Ben seemed pretty calm, given what just happened.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah." He and Jay began to laugh again, and from beside me, I heard Jane and Jon chuckle as well.

"You need another blast." Jane held up the water gun she'd used before, but when she shot water at Ben, nothing happened, leaving him in the same state he was before, just soaking wet.

"Huh." After a moment, she shrugged. "It's Enchanted Lake water. I guess it can only do so much."

"Please tell me that's not genetic," Jon groaned, staring at his brother.

"No," Ben assured, standing up and meeting his brother halfway.

It was strange. In all these years of knowing them, I don't think I'd ever really seen Jon and Ben interact, save for a few sparse conversations. This was the first time I'd seen them really acting like brothers, checking on each other and hugging. It just confirmed I'd made the right choice in forgiving Jon.

With that still on my mind, I glanced over at Harry, who was sulking against a tree. Gently, I pat Carlos' chest, getting him to release me. Strangely, I didn't feel any sort of hesitance or hatred as I approached Harry, looking up at him quizzically.

"Are you okay?" I asked, finding it slightly strange how much I cared.

"What?" He, too, seemed pretty shocked I actually wanted to check up on him.

"Did you get hurt at all? Or are you okay?" After another moment of tense silence, he nodded and answered me.

"Yeah. Thanks."

"Mm-hmm."

I awkwardly turned away, unsure of how to deal with this sort of situation, but I didn't get much time to think about it. Just as I looked back at the group, Jon's eyes bounced between Harry and I, and his gaze darkened as he stared.