01 ; shell of myself

CHAPTER ONE

"Honey! Wake up! Today is the day!" A voice sounded from downstairs. If I wasn't awake, I would have groaned, cuddling towards my pillow, longing for the last few drops of sleep before my inevitable waking.

However, I was on the other side of my room, practically sick to my stomach. A new life awaited me, and I was not excited. How could I be, when I set myself up for an ultimate failure.

My mother was convincing nonetheless, making me believe I'm cut out for the life she planned for me.

But deep down, I knew, this was not the path I could take. I lacked the confidence, the ability to be who my mother wanted me to be. But it's too late.

A knock closed off my thoughts, and my mother's voice through the door was muffled yet clear, "Today's the day, Cassie. I'm so proud of you. But you won't be able to leave the small town of Avalon, if you don't get up."

I sigh quietly, "Okay, I'm up. Let me just... say goodbye to my room. And my stuff.. And--"

"Cassie. We need to go now, or I won't let you leave," My mom cuts me off, and I look at my room in defeat. I throw on a pair of leggings and a hoodie, and slowly walk towards my door. My room was bare, with little decorations left.

As I did one last scan over my room, I noticed an old notebook in the corner. Recognizing the cover, I practically dove on the floor-- my first ever song-writing book. I lost it on my graduation day, which caused day that should be filled with pride and happiness, be engulfed with frustration and sadness.

Who would have known, after all this time I've been looking for it, it was in the corner of my room.

Filled to the brim with joy, I opened the first page and was hit with a wave of nostalgia. The wave caused tears to brew in my eyes, and I couldn't stop them.

The book I held within my arms was the missing piece in my world, and with it I felt complete. The contents of my notebook was my calling, not whatever the Computer Science realm held for me. Songwriting is who I am-- and nothing can stop that.

-

The car ride was filled with my mother yammering about my college life. It was unbearable.

"If you meet a boy, don't fall in love. You need to focus on your studies, and trust me, a boy will only--"

"Mom," I say softly, cutting her off, "What if.. I don't want to go to college? Like, what if.. I'm not passionate about computer science--"

"What type of nonsense are you spewing out? Don't want to go to college," My mom snickers, "Then what will you do? Pursue music? I thought we went over this, Cassandra. You're smart— a Straight A student. A musical career is simply not realistic and--"

"I'll be throwing my life away, yada yada yada. Do you even care about my thoughts?" I ask, and my mother sighs.

"I only think of your thoughts. I know what's best for you."

I roll my eyes, and lean onto the cold glass of the car window. I close my eyes, and try to listen to the quiet murmur of the song playing on the radio.

I know my mother has my best interest at heart, but how can I go into a life with no passion, at all?

-

"So, as you know, I used my connections to get you a single room & so you can focus more on your studies and you won't be distracted with other things." She says, whilst carrying some of the boxes.

I grab my suitcase, and the last remaining box and follow her through the building.

As I take in my surroundings, my heart pounds fast, making me nauseous. The chatter of the teenagers, laughter of the girls and boys, made me feel small, causing my somewhat calm demeanor to falter.

My mother sensed it as we approached my room, and offered me a comforting smile.

She opens her mouth, and I prepare myself for a motherly word for our part but am met with disappointment when she says, "The only thing that's bad about this single room, is that the rest of the single rooms here are co-ed. No funny business, Cassie."

I let out a breath of disappointment, but I didn't know what I was expecting.

My mother never gave me good advice when I needed it.

-

Unpacking the last of my stuff, I was completely exhausted. Sprawling out on my rock hard bed, I attempted to rest.

It felt as though I hadn't slept in ages.

Life had gotten so exhausting, to the point where I just feel like a zombie. Here I am, at my dream college, but I don't feel proud.

I'm just a shell of myself.

How have I managed to lose myself this hard? Where did I go?

As I laid my head on top of the pillow, I stared at the textured wall. But I couldn't sleep, especially with the noises coming from the side of the wall.

Thumps and noises sounded from the other room, every bang making me more annoyed.

I pounded on the wall, but got no response.

"Ugh," I groan to myself, as I get up and walk out to the other room.

I knock on the door, no response. I knock again, and hear some shuffling.

The door opens, revealing a shirtless guy with disheveled hair. I move my head to the side, attempting not to see his torso, but it was no use.

I turn my head back, and meet his ocean blue eyes.

He stood there with a smirk on his face, "Who might you be, interrupting my time?"