05 ; bad intentions

CHAPTER FIVE

"When there's Colby Brock, there's trouble," A voice sounds, coming from Katrina's door. I turn around, and my eyes are met with a pair of large brown ones. Leaning against the door frame, her stance radiated confidence, something I did not possess in that moment.

Her beauty took me aback, and she arched an eyebrow. She opened her mouth to add on to her statement that left the room in an awkward silence, but was cut off by Katrina's bubbly tone, "Tara! Don't scare her."

Tara only rolls her eyes in response, "If she's going to write a song about him, might as well know what she's getting into."

The mention of my song was enough to bring a blush to my cheeks, to which I scolded myself for.

"Don't mind her. That's Tara, my roommate! She had a little thing for Colby, but it didn't last," She whispers the last part to me, and winks.

I shudder in response, she had a thing for Colby? If she did, there was no way in hell I would have a chance, even if I didn't know how I felt about him.

"I don't even like him, so there's nothing to worry about," I say through gritted teeth, hoping to get rid of the hanging of my negative thoughts.

"Well, your song says otherwise," She says, squinting her eyes at me. I take in a deep breath, and turn back to the mirror.

I glared at my reflection in the mirror, and an uncomfortable silence fell over the room.

Katrina chuckles awkwardly, "Time to head out! Tara, are you coming?"

I secretly hoped her answer was no, seeing as we both did not enjoy each other's company. Much to my dismay, Tara mutters a "Yes, let me get ready," and disappears into her room to change.

I sigh in relief as her presence leaves the room, but I knew the relief would not stay there if I tried.

"Cassie?" Katrina's voice rings, and I quickly shake away emotions of embarrassment and shame, "Hey... I know, Tara can be a handful. But she's nothing to worry about, just a short girl with pent up emotions."

I slowly nod, but Katrina's words didn't really comfort me. At all.

"She means no harm," Katrina continues, putting a hand on my shoulder.

Before I could confide in Katrina, Tara comes in and announces she was ready.

Little did I know, I was not ready for this night.

-

The vibrations through the house, the little room for personal space, and the loud music and chatter was enough to make me nauseous.

This was not my scene at all.

Not noticing my discomfort, Katrina grabs my hand and pulls me through the crowd of dancing bodies.

"Isn't this fun?" She screams, over the music, her voice almost lost in the noise.

No.

I attempted to match her enthusiasm but failed immediately.

Tara and Katrina made their way to the back, Katrina's hand still locked on my arms.

"Jake!" Tara exclaims, seeing a platinum blonde haired boy, and jumping into his arms.

Jake? What about Colby?

"See, I told you. Nothing to worry about," Katrina whispers in my ear, and then turns to who I knew was Sam, "Sam!"