Chapter Eight

Friday

It was nearly sunset by the time I reached the cemetery. The streaks of pinks and orange fights to dominate the blue skies.

Nearly two months have passed from the last time we were here. I walked down the path that separates the public part of the cemetery, where people that are not government servants are buried, from those who are.

It was pretty much one of the cemeteries that values high maintenance, one reason why most people wanted to be  buried here even if they are not from this town.

Another reason was the myth saying that this land was carved by angels, whatever that means, and therefore closer to heaven.

I reached the place I have been so familiar with for the past few years.

Maria Leticia Agoncillo Sinclair
A loving wife, mother, daughter, and friend
An honorable researcher
“Constant as the stars above, always know that you are loved.”

Samuel Lucas Sinclair
A loving husband, father, son, and friend
An honorable researcher
“And the light that shines in you; will help you make your dreams come true.”

“Hi Mom, Hi Dad. I’m here. Well, alone. I am sorry for that. It has been long, quite too long.” I whispered softly as I sat on the soft grass in front of their names. I just wish the wind takes my words back to them.

“Everything’s fine. Sebastian is still working in that photography shop he always loved. I can see that he is happy, and he is learning a lot too. He has been a great help in raising the twins, Cassie, and Theo. I could have never done it without him. The twins, well, I think something is going on with them. I think something’s bugging George and I feel so helpless, Sam even more so. Are they just being hormonal teenagers? I don’t know Mom, Dad. How do I approach them without letting them feel suffocated? That’s why I came here. I don’t know what to do.” I sniffed, feeling the start of a full blown crying.

“Cassie has been sad lately. I thought it was just about the braces, but I figured it was more than that. I saw here watching our last family photo together. She’s missing you. We all are. I miss you. I wish… I just wished you could be here. I feel like you deserve watching them, us, grow up more than I am. I feel like I’m not doing enough Mom, Dad. What do I do?"

I was properly crying now, I can’t help it. I miss them so much it hurts. I wiped my tears as I urged myself to calm down and tell them about Theo. He was always a ray of sunshine chasing away bad situations.

“Theo’s really good. He is pretty much a master of sign language already. I, by the way, am learning too. Xander taught me. He’s a really moody classmate of mine, but an excellent teacher nonetheless. Dad, Theo found your telescope. He’s been busy reading books about outer space lately, well given that they’re more like a book full of pictures. He’s also watching about it in the television too."

Even just talking about Theo brings a smile on my face.

"There are a lot of times that I don’t even know what I’m doing, and if I am doing it right, but I promise to take care of him, to take care of them.”

I picked at the grass in front of me and sat there in silence, feeling somehow a weight is lifted. I know talking to them would make me feel better, like it always does.

Glancing at my wristwatch, I realized I have been here for almost 20 minutes. I decided to go home if I wanted to reach the house before it gets too late.