Chapter Nine

Saturday

After placing a plate full of scrambled eggs on the table, I took a glance around the table.

It’s Saturday morning and the previous tension is still there, but is seemed to have dissipated at least for a bit.

Cassie seems to be smiling like her usual self but looking closely, I know something is still bothering her.

I am pretty sure not about the thought of having braces anymore and sticking like a sore thumb. By now I know she realizes that it doesn’t make her look less pretty than she actually is. If anything, it would make her look adorable.

I remember having the same dilemma when I was her age, and as much as I scold myself for being petty then, I understand where she comes from.

As a middle school student, she is still trying to figure out how to survive middle school in the way she knows.

“Hey, Ana. I know it is last minute to ask you, but can I go to Nicole’s house today?” Cassie asked while nibbling on her  baby carrots. She could never get on the day without those.

“Don’t you want to come with me at the animal reserve, like we always do?”

“I can come next weekend. Nicole just got a dog she was really hoping to adopt because Uncle Milo finally agreed. Well, as long as I help her learn the basics of caring which I promised her I would.”

“Oh, okay. That is really nice, Cass. I could drop you off on the way.”

Cassie grinned at me and continued eating. Turns out, Cassie is not the only one who had plans.

The twins were going out, although separately.

Sam will go out with her girl friends which I found somehow odd that she isn’t joined at the hip with Peter like she always is.

George too will go out with a friend. He never mentioned anything more so I decided to leave it at that.

I am pretty sure he might have snapped if I said anything, which didn’t go unnoticed by Seb.

“You are clearly on edge, Ana. What’s wrong?” Seb asked helping me put away the dishes as the others got ready for their plans.

“I don’t know. I guess I’m just agitated that they seem to be hiding something from me. I’m not used to it. Now, Cassie isn’t even joining me in the animal reserve like she always does. Sam seems to be having a fall out with Peter. And George, something is really bothering him. Something huge, Sam doesn’t even seem to know. Is he doing something bad so he felt the need to hide it from us? Am I reading too much on things? Yes, I think so. I’m just over reacting. But I don’t want to invalidate all your feelings. Oh God, what am I going to do?”

“Ana, breathe. I assure you, George is not drinking or doing drugs. And as for Cassie and Sam, they’ll come around. They'll all do. Just hang in there. Worrying too much will never help, okay? Besides, I am here. We’re in this together.”

I smiled at Seb’s words. He had indeed matured so much these past few years.

“By the way, I’ll be off in a bit for that photo shoot-“ Seb started but I cut him off.