chapter 22-I share my secret

CHAPTER 22 I SHARE MY SECRET

"My name isn't jerry, its Echo."

Deva looked shocked, but Holly laughed it off. Deva nudged her and she stopped. "Wait, your not joking? What kind of boy name is Echo?"

I sighed and rubbed the back of my neck. "It isn't a boy name." I said in my regular voice, and they both let understanding dawn on them.

"Well, anything else?" Deva asked, I looked away and mumbled something inaudible.

"Mm?" Holly grunted, I sighed. "I'm... Your big sister." I said the last three words fast and looked away quickly.

"WHAT?!?!?!?!?" Holly and Deva screamed, I flinched, and looked to where I saw the forest nearby. I could...

I swiftly got up and started running.

The girls yelled insults at me from behind as I ran. My hood flew off and they saw my short braid whip behind me. It made them even more outraged.

It wasn't long before I saw the cabin. Will and Halt were sitting on the porch drinking coffee peacefully before they saw their daughters.

I screamed as I ran from the two. Halt chuckled, while Will broke out laughing, his face quickly turning red. I scowled at them before getting tackled by Holly.

"You!" She screamed, "Liar!"

I screamed as I struggled to try and get up, she's heavier than she looks. She was sitting on my back, holding me down.

"I'm sorry!" I kept screaming, tears threatening to spill out of my eyes.

"Enough!" Our father yelled, then everyone stopped what they were doing, looking at him, stunned.

"Get her off of me!" I squealed, clawing the ground with my used to be perfect nails.

She yanked on my braid and I growled before I stopped moving. The weight on my back left and I let out a sigh of relief.

My body went limp and I just lay there panting. The two fathers scolded their children, I ignored them and thought about all the pain coursing through my body.

Someone lifted me up, I opened one eye slightly and saw the reassuring face of my father. He picked me up, bridal style, and went into the cabin. He lay me down in his room and the second my face hit the pillow I fell asleep.

I woke up, everything aching. I took off my cloak and looked at me arms, there were bruises here and there, and I worried about how my back looked.

I slipped back on my cloak and lay in the bes, cuddling my fathers pillow.

I lay there silently, until I was interrupted by someone opening the door. I felt strain when I tried to open my eyes, and eventually thought against it.

"I'm sorry." It was Holly.

"Its... Fine." I hadn't realized how tired I was until now.

"How long... have I been out?" I managed to ask.

"An hour."

I winced.

I forced my eyes opened and rubbed the sleep out of them. "Kid, I would've done the same thing if I were you. When Halt told me he was my dad I wanted to do just that, but I didn't. Because I was afraid. You, my sister, weren't. That's something that I think I would want to see in all rangers. Bravery."

She grinned at me, "I'll talk to dad about you being a ranger."

She frowned, and my smile faltered. "Not what I was expecting... I mean... I thought... You could take me in as your apprentice."

I shook my head and sighed. "Sorry, I really am, but I have an apprentice of my own. Her name is Adela. I do hope you two get along, and I hope you get to be a ranger."

She smiled, but I knew I brought her hopes down. She probably didn't want dad as her mentor, but I thought about mom.

"Mom!" I gasped.

Holly looked startled, but recovered quickly and raised an eyebrow. "You can't become a ranger. I know, I know. Please, don't hate me. You literally can't. Mom wanted you to be a courier, if you aren't it will crush her!"

She shrugged, "I'm not going to be a courier, I need to be a ranger."

I shook my head, rubbing the back of my neck. "Anything! Anything but a ranger, then. Maybe you can be a scribe! Yeah," she shook her head and sighed.

"Face it, sis, the only thing I'm cut out for his being a ranger."

My shoulders slumped and I nodded, but that didn't mean that I didn't hate this.