The dark before the light

She had rewarded me because I had amused her. I relied on her for everything from food and water to companionship and warmth and now I could finally do something for her. All my resentment and pain started to melt away as I felt a small warmth in my chest at that thought, and for the first time in a while I fell asleep in that cold cage a little less cold.

I laid on my back staring up at the night sky through the pit’s opening daydreaming about my old home. I could remember going and getting donuts from… a woman and man at large donuts. I scratched my head, something about the memory felt off but I didn’t know what. I skipped ahead to memories of taking the donuts home to Pearl who’d sit with me and eat as Garnet cleaned and Amethyst meditated. No, wait Pearl would clean and Garnet ate with me. Yeah… no…
“UGH!” I shouted sitting up and grasping my head more. It’s been throbbing for days now and the more it hurt the blurrier things about home became.
“Ow.” I moaned rubbing my throat as it too now hurt from yelling. Jasper hadn’t visited me for a while now, by my count it had been four days now, tomorrow would be day number five. I wanted to sleep, but sleep had been avoiding me for two days now. Did I do something wrong? Was she mad at me? All I want to do is fix it. I just don’t want to be alone. I could feel the familiar shaking my body does when I cry but no tears fell, pretty sure there was nothing left to cry out anyways. I crawled to the opening of my cage trying my hardest to focus my vision so I could make put her usual spot above me. But it was a useless effort, even if she was there.
“Jasper?” I said my frail voice didn’t even echo because of how broken it was.
“Please.” Dripping water, critters running around, and silence. My vision started to go from blurry to black and I passed out.