Our Love

Um… Jasper…”
“What?”
“One, I still don’t have enough strength to really walk. And Two why’s that bag moving?” She sighed obviously aggravated which caused me to flinch.
“You’re so damn weak.” She grabbed my arm and half dragged me to the table letting me fall into the chair.
“And it’s food, so eat.” She walked over to a gem hub and started to work on something. I carefully opened the bag enough to try and see what was moving around in it.  Water splashed me in the face from inside the bag causing me to drop it so the fish inside could flop out onto the ground.
“Better not let it get away. Thing was a pain to grab.” Jasper said not looking up from her work.
“Jasper I can’t eat that.” That made her stop only to glare at me.
“And why not? I’ve seen your kind eat them before.”
“Well it’s alive and not cooked. If I eat it, I’ll get sick.” I was hoping that reasoning and not push the matter. I’d decided to become a vegetarian months ago and I knew she wouldn’t understand, and it would probably make her mad, so best not to bring that up. She growled and walked over grabbing the dying fish in her fist.
“How do I cook it?” (Damn it.)
“You need fire.” She gave me a look clearly telling me to give her more details. Defeated in my attempts to not have to eat the fish I instructed her on how to build a fire. I was surprised when she told me to get on her back so we could go outside to build the fire.
“I don’t want anymore annoyances with this stupid food business so you’re going to come with me to make this fire and cook this thing. Try to escape and there will be no food for a week.” I wrapped my arms around her neck, her hair engulfed me, but I didn’t mind. Her back was warm and her firm arm holding me up made me feel kind of safe. We exited the hide out into the cool night air and I noticed it was an old gem ship, one I didn’t recognize. She set me down and I guided her through the prosses of fire building and fish cooking. When she finished, she passed the fish to me before turning her attention to the fire. Reluctantly I took a bite, I never did like the taste of fish but since it had bee some time since I’d last eaten any meat, I had to stop myself from gaging. I finished the fish with some difficulty and tossed the bones into the flames. I looked over at Jasper who I still watching the flames as they burned the pile of wood and bone.
“Thank you.” She didn’t respond, so I decided to test my luck. I crawled closer and leaned against her, watching for any sign of her temper. Weather it was the fire keeping her distracted or her just not caring didn’t matter as much as her actually letting me lean on her.