Two

repairs
————

Leda watches the X-wing leave the planet with a sad smile on her face. She had genuinely enjoyed the time she had spent with the famous pilot, even if he annoyed her with his inability to shut up. She could already tell that his curly hair and mischievous demeanour would haunt her thoughts for the next few days, which annoyed her more than she could admit.

Over the past few years, Leda had probably met thousands of people, but none of them really seemed as intriguing as this new young man. For whatever reason, she felt like they could have a good friendship, but she also knew that the chances of seeing him again were relatively slim.

"Try not to get too attached, kid." Her boss's voice made her jump in surprise, and she turned around to face him. "I need you to focus on your work, not troublesome pilots."

"Yes boss." Was her response. She wanted nothing more than to be left alone to think about everything in her life that seemed to be terribly wrong, although she knew she was lucky just to be alive.

The old man sighed and leant against a wall. Leda noticed his hands were shaking, and only then did she realise how old he really was. It's not that she didn't think he was old - he was - but he looked more than just old. His hair looked greyer then Leda had ever seen it before, and his face looked more wrinkled and saggy then it had looked previously. He noticed Leda staring.

"I'm getting on in life, kid. You can't expect me to look young forever."

"If you don't mind me asking, sir, how old are you?"

"Too old. I've been alive for over 100 years. I'm too old to work here anymore. That's why I've got you." He replies, massaging his temples as he does so.

"Why don't you just retire or something. I'm sure someone else can take over." Leda suggests, shrugging her shoulders.

"I'm sure someone can, but I work to make money. If I don't have money I can't retire. I'm not paid any better than you are kid."

"Oh," The girl briefly looks away from her boss. "Well I think you should be paid more."

"Yeah, and I think I should be dead, so you can just add it to the list of things that aren't gonna happen anytime soon."

+

Five days later, Leda was sitting on the edge of her small bed, thinking once again about leaving the planet. The pilot she had helped earlier that day had also been talking about job opportunities that Leda could take on other planets. It seemed to the young girl that anywhere would be better than Bespin, and now she was really considering leaving.

Her biggest issue was finding a ship. The spacecrafts were all expensive, and the money that she had been saving for the past ten years could only buy her a part of a wing. It was also rare that anyone was willing to take extra passengers, even if the passenger was to pay extra.

But that's when it clicked.

There was a hangar somewhere in the building that had old, broken ships. No one had bothered to fix them, but Leda was sure she could work her magic and repair one to a standard. If she were caught she would have an issue, but that was only if she was caught.

Without thinking about it any further, she stood up and dressed into her usual day clothing. She only owned the two changes of clothes, so she didn't need to pack anything.

Leda opened her door and hurriedly made her way to the hangar, stopping and hiding whenever there was a person up ahead.

A few minutes later she made it inside, and she made sure to lock the door behind her.