Eight

recovery
————

Leda woke when she felt the ship land, hearing the other people in the freighter running out of it, noise disappearing for a few seconds before Leda pushed herself out of the hidden compartment. Without looking, she knew that she was back on the Resistance base, but she wasn't mad about it. She would be safer here than out in a place she knew nothing about.

She slowly carried herself down the ramp, sitting on some crates once she was back on the ground. Her leg was in so much pain that she had almost forgotten about her swollen cheek. Almost.

"You look quite beaten up." Someone spoke from beside her, making Leda jump. "You should visit Doctor Kalonia."

"Um, no, I don't think she'll be too pleased to see me."

"Why's that?"

"I'm not exactly on her good side."

"No one else can fix it."

"I don't need anyone to fix it." Leda snaps before standing and walking away, trying her hardest to not limp. She doesn't pay any attention to where she's going, and she ends up in a place she doesn't recognise. Now incredibly frustrated, she punches a wall, only finding out afterwards that that was not a good decision. Her hand throbs, and before she can scream in frustration she hears a familiar voice call out to her.

"Leda?"

She turns her head to the side to find the one and only Poe Dameron jogging towards her. Before she knew it, her arms were wrapped tightly around his neck, his arms around her waist. She had her head in the crook of his neck, her body as close to his as possible. She couldn't say exactly why she wanted to be so close to him, but she pinpointed it to the fact that she was still cold from the ice planet she had been on previously.

After a few seconds, Leda collapsed, the pain and exhaustion catching up to her. Poe caught her, carrying her carefully to the medical wing, knowing that she desperately needed treatment. Once the pilot knew she was okay, he kissed her forehead lightly before returning to the General to inform her that Leda was back.

+

Three days later, Leda was installing a new feature to Poe's X-wing. Leda had only recently been allowed to leave her bed, the doctor giving her strict orders to not hurt herself again. Her leg was no longer wrapped in bandages, but she still used a walking stick to support herself.

"What are you doing?" Poe appeared from behind the ship, his arms crossed to ensure that Leda knew that she wasn't supposed to touch his beloved X-wing.

"I'm making your ship better." The girl replied without looking at the pilot.

"That's hard to do. It can't get much better than this."

Leda didn't reply to this and instead continued to work until BB-8 rolled into her legs.

"Watch the legs." Leda scolded as she looked down at him. The droid beeped in response. Poe likes you.

"Hey, I can hear you."

Leda looked at Poe to see him looking embarrassed, making her laugh.

"Are you blushing?" Leda taunts, which makes the man roll his eyes.

"Nope, but I think you are."

"No I'm -"

Before she can finish, Poe steps forward and places a soft peck on her cheek, making her face go crimson.

"That's not fair!" She exclaimed, her voice higher than usual.

"Oh well." Poe shrugs before taking the screwdriver out of Leda's hand.

"Give it back."

"No, I don't think I will."

"I have dirty, greasy hands and you have a white shirt. That won't end well for you."

"You wouldn't."

Leda accepts this challenge, stepping forward and wiping her hands on the pilot's shirt. In response, Poe picks the girl up and runs to a patch of grass, Leda squealing the whole time. He puts her on the ground and begins tickling her, telling her to say sorry which she refuses to do, only making him tickle her more. After a while, they both become tired and lie side by side on the grass, watching the clouds move across the sky.

"I was supposed to tell you that Leia wants to talk to you." Poe speaks after a few minutes of silence,
"Great." Leda replies sarcastically. Together they stand and brush the grass out of their hair and off of their clothes before making their way to the control room. Upon arriving, they noticed an air of joy and excitement radiating off of every person in that room, which only added to the subtle confusion Leda already felt.

"General," Leda spoke once they were in front of the older woman. "You wanted to see me?"

"Yes, I have some great news for the both of you." She replied, the slight excitement in her tone making Poe increase his attention in the conversation. "They found Luke."

————

word count: 819