𝐱𝐯. 𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐞

CHAPTER FIFTEEN!

FATE.

HER BODY ACHES UNLIKE IT EVER HAS BEFORE and yet she feels numb at the same time. She can see the spear sticking out of her stomach and she hears a canon at the same time, her eyes moving over to Johanna who has struck Brutus down. She cries out slightly at the that but it hurts as she does so. Katniss has scampered over to her side, slowly pulling the spear out as she tries to ignore the girl's cries. The girl from Twelve puts pressure on the wound with her hands to try and keep her from bleeding out.

"Funny isn't it? I came here to kill you and now I'm going to die for you," Emori croaks as her hand rests over Katniss' and the wound on her stomach, her eyes looking up at the shocked girl.

"W-why would you do this? I killed your brother," Katniss speaks and for some odd reason, she feels her eyes becoming wet with tears. This girl was going to kill her, she wanted to end her life and yet here she is dying because of her. The whole idea both confuses her and evokes more guilt than ever.

"This is so much bigger than me and my brother, Katniss. My brother is gone, I can't bring him back and I see that now. Killing you won't do it. He would be proud of me regardless," she breathes and Katniss sees the girl shed a tear, the pain obviously becoming too much.

Katniss helps the girl as she stumbles to her feet, catching her as she falls forward. The blonde is now openly crying, her entire body aching in protest as she moves. The adrenaline has well and truly run low, all she feels in pain. She's suffering.

"I-I want to see Reed. I need to say goodbye," Emori cries and Katniss feels pity in her heart, nodding as she throws the girl's arm over her shoulder so that she can walk with her. The two of them walk slowly through the thick foliage and when they reach the group of people, Emori drops to the ground, no longer able to stay upright even with Katniss' help.

"Mori?" The familiar voice speaks painfully, the brunette boy rushing over to kneel by her side. Emori smiles up at him as she's placed in his lap, her hand moving up to caress his cheek which has blood splattered along its surface.

"I'm sorry, Reed. I'm so sorry," The girl sobs as he clutches her close to him. The boy directs a glare up to Katniss who is standing beside a clearly shocked Peeta and an emotional Finnick.

"You were supposed to keep her safe!" Reed hisses in her direction, a tear sliding down his cheek. Katniss flinches at his tone and Peeta places his hand on her shoulder gently.

"It was my fault, Reed. I did this for them, for your sister, for all those other children so they'll never have to go through this," She slurs, her words becoming slower and less understandable.

Reed looks back at her form and brings his forehead down to hers. Their lips meet for a few seconds as he cradles her face between his hands.