𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐬

CHAPTER THIRTEEN!

PLANS.

THE FACT THAT BEETEE WAS THE ONE WHO THOUGHT OF A PLAN, does not surprise Emori in the slightest. She's always known he was more of the brainy type especially when it comes to electricity, hence the nickname Voltz. She leans her head against Reed's shoulder in order to gain some comfort.

"Where do careers feel safest? The jungle?" Beetee asks the group.

"The jungle's a nightmare," Johanna speaks up.

"Probably here on the beach," Peeta interjects as he looks down at the District Three victor who seems to be pondering something.

"Then why are they not here?" Beetee responds as he fiddles with the coil.

"Because we are, we claimed it,"

"And if we left, they would come. In just over four hours we will be soaked with water from the ten o'clock wave. And what happens at midnight?"

"Lightning strikes that tree," Katniss points out.

"Here's what I propose. We leave the beach at dusk. We head to the lightning tree. That should draw them back to the beach. Prior to midnight, we then run this wire from the tree to the water. Anyone in the water, or on the damp sand, will be electrocuted,"

Emori and Reed exchange glances and then the blonde moves her gaze to Peeta who looks as if he's in deep thought. After their talk earlier, she cannot help but feel like she actually likes him. It's odd considering she came to the Capitol with a deep hatred for him. Katniss omg he other hand, she still cannot stand. Perhaps she understands her a little more, Cato was somebody in the way of her survival. Just as Katniss was in the way of his. She did what she had to do to get back to her family, just how Cato would've done. However, that does not erase the fact she left her brother to suffer instead of giving him a merciful death.

"How do we know the wire's not gonna burn up?" Johanna questions, snapping the girl from her thoughts.

"Because I invented it. I assure you, it won't burn up," Beetee speaks and all of them take a moment to look at one another.

"Well, it's better than hunting them down,"

"Yeah, why not? If it fails, no harm done anyway, right?" Katniss says and Peeta agrees with her.

"So what can we do to help?" Finnick asks.

"Keep me alive for the next six hours. That would be extremely helpful," Beetee says.

The group disperses to have what could be their final conversations. Despite the fact that Beetee is more than confident in himself and his plan, they know by now that not everything ends up right — their entire lives are proof of that.

The young blonde sits beside her close friend from District Ten as they watch the waves roll in against the shore. There's a soft breeze around them as they sit in silence, her hair gently swaying.

"Do you think it'll work?" She asks suddenly.

"I'm not sure. I hope so, I'd rather not die like that. It'll probably be pretty excruciating," Reed responds seriously, the plan running through his mind over and over.

"What happens when it does, Reed? Then we have to kill those people. Johanna, Finn, Beetee, Peeta—" she trails off towards the end and Reed's lips quirk up slightly.

"I thought you didn't like him?" Reed teases trying to lighten the mood slightly. Emori snorts slightly and shoves him gently.

"Shut up. He's ok,"

Reed nods his head and rests it against her's as her's lays against his shoulder. All their joking ceases as twelve looms closer, neither of them wanting to move from where they are in case it's the last time they see one another.

"I'm scared," Emori confides in bed friend who is feeling rather fearful himself, neither of them should have been in this situation again. "W-what if it kills you? I don't think I'd  able to deal with more loss. It would kill me,"

"I won't let it kill me, ok? I won't let it happen. Neither of us are going to die today," Reed promises but she shakes her head and moves away slightly.

"Not even you can keep that promise, Reed. Not even you," Emori states as she goes to stand up, his hand sticks out and pulls her back towards him. Shock courses through her veins as he looks into her eyes. "What are you doing?"

The boy's calloused hand gently grasps the side of her face, tugging her closer so that he can cover her mouth with his own. The blonde's body freezes up as the boy kisses her, a few seconds passing before she decides to reciprocate it. Her hands move to rest behind his neck as they continue, the others on the beach now paying attention to the close friends. When they pull away, Reed rests his forehead against hers and they stare into each other's eyes.

"I've wanted to do that for a while," he chuckles softly and she feels tears fill her eyes. "That's not the reaction I expected," he speaks referring to her tears.

"P-please don't die. Please," She sobs and she falls into his arms, her vulnerability on display for the entire Capitol to see. Reed holds her tightly as she cries heavily, clutching onto him as if her life depends on it. "Please,"

"I promise. I promise I'll come out of this alive," he says although he doesn't believe his own words. If it came down to it, he'd give his life for hers in a heartbeat.

NOTE!

Short but necessary. Hope you guys enjoyed! We're nearing the end now, only a few chapters to go.