Chapter six: New On The Job Part 2

Recap

 (I raised my hand. He walked over to me, handed me a clipboard to sign and after I signed for the flowers he left them along with a card.

 My mom looked at me with a smirk on her face.  She said; “Maybe Jackson’s feeling some remorse about the way he treated you.”  I just shrugged my shoulders then opened and started to read the card.)

 *********************************************************

Chapter Six New On The Job Part 2

 Mom knew about the fight my boyfriend Jackson and I had. She thought the flowers came from him. I opened up the card the delivery man handed to me and was shocked. I looked to see who they were from, but there was no signature at all. The card said and I quote "To a very special lady who has been in my thoughts and dreams for a long while. I hope you enjoy the flowers and I can see you soon."

I didn't know what to think about what was on the card. Who could he be? Who do I know that could like me and me not even know about the way he feels. Could it be Jackson trying to play a trick on me? Or is he trying to make up by being romantic after the way he treated me at the party? Or could I have a secret admirer? That thought put a smile on my face. To think I had a secret admirer. It’s scary and exciting at the same time.

I got to thinking about all the guys I knew back at college, but couldn't think of one person that might have any feelings for me in that way. In college all the guys’ knew Jackson and I were dating and I was not free. So no one ever bothered to really get to know me. Jackson was very possessive of me and didn't like any guys talking to me at all. It did kind of get on my nerves. But I loved Jackson so I put up with it. I just don't know who it could be.

Mom broke into my thoughts asking; “Well, are they from Jackson?” I handed her the card. First she looked puzzled, and then all of a sudden a giant grin broke out on her face. She recognized something about that card that I missed. What could it be? She handed it back to me and turned back to her work.

Not long after the flowers arrived Mark came in and handed me a folder. He told me he needed me to make a set of copies for him. He looked at the flowers and asked if my boyfriend Jackson sent them. I told him they came with no name on the card. I didn't recognize the hand writing and so didn't know who sent them. He just smiled and went into his office and shut the door.

While I made the copies of the papers in the folder I thought about how Jackson acted at the party. I asked myself “Is Jackson really the right guy for me? Does he really love me? Is he the man I want to grow old with? "

When I was done making the copies for Mark I took them to his office. He was on the phone when I knocked and opened the door. He smiled and waved for me to come in and take a seat. I sat down and waited for him to finish his call.

When he was finished I handed him the folder and copies. He thanked me and asked me to take some notes for him. When we were done with that I got up to go and type out the notes I had made for him. He told me that when I was done I could leave for the day. It was almost quitting time anyway. So I left and went to work on the notes for him. He had asked me to leave them on his desk and he would look them over in the morning. He was left the office for the day.

The first week has been quite nice working with my parents and Mark.

(Thinking Back) 

When I was still in college and could get home for school holidays I never managed to see Mark for quite some time. Mom said he was either gone on a case or away with friends. When I was at school mom said Dad and Mark would be in his office going over papers for some court case they had coming up and he always managed to be on hand when supper was put on the table. Mom said Mark would stay for dinner all the time when he was there. He probably stayed so late because he wanted some good home cooked meals.  He needed some good home cooked food. In the photos I had seen of him he was as skinny as a bean pole. He was hansom but needed some meat on his bones then he would be better looking.

 (Back to the present)

 When I finished typing out the notes that I made for Mark, I went and put them on his desk like I was told. I found a note and a rose on his desk. The Note read as follows.

“To that special someone who is in my dreams and thoughts, I would like to thank you for the wonderful job you are doing here in the office. Keep up the good work. I didn't know how to express how I have felt about you in person and so I decided this was the best way. Hope you enjoyed your flowers and hope to get to know you better in the future. Your secret admirer Mark.”

I just stood there with my mouth hanging open. Mark is my secret admirer. I couldn't believe it. He has been like a passing acquaintance to me. I mean I don't really know him well. Since they’ve been here in North Carolina he and dad are always busy working. I do recall him looking at me like he wanted to talk during dinner after my graduation but Jackson monopolized my attention. And the few times we’ve eaten at mom and dad’s together he never seemed to single me out.  Mark of all people. I can’t believe it. Now that I think about it he has filled out quite nicely. After all mom really is a good cook. No better food could be found anywhere.

I ran out of the office and handed mom the new note. She read it over and handed it to me with a grin. I knew that she knew who it was all along. I said; “You knew didn’t you! Why didn’t you say something?” She said; “Yes, your father and I have suspected it for a long time. When I saw the first note I recognized his hand writing and then I was certain. I told your father this was coming. I hope you can deal with this in a mature way if you don’t share his feelings.” “Share his feelings. How could I when he has always seemed like a brother to me!” Mom said; “Don’t make any hasty decisions. Why not try to get to know Mark first, and then you will give both him and you a fair chance.”

I decided to take mom’s advice and see what happens. After all I don’t want to jump into a relationship on the rebound but neither do I want to end something that might be the best thing that ever happened to me.

The next day Mark was already in his office when I arrived. I went straight to his door and knocked. He said; “Enter.” I opened the door and went in. He jumped to his feet and said; “O, excuse me Tammy I didn’t realize it was you. I thought it was Joe coming to replace a light bulb. To be honest I didn’t know if you would even come in today. I’m glad you did.”

I realized he’s as nervous as I am. “Why wouldn’t I Mark. I am flattered that you think so much of me but it’s just too soon to be thinking about a relationship. Hurting like I am after Jackson’s betrayal might lead me to jump into something to salve my ego. I’m sure you wouldn’t want me under false pretenses. I’ve always thought of you as a brother so this is something new to me. I would like to have time to get to know you better.”

“Tammy you can have all the time you need. I’m a very patient man.”

He meant it too.

 ******************************************************

AN/ Hope you all like it. Don't forget to leave comments and vote. Hope to hear from you all.