five

The days that followed meant nothing to me, more useless information about a monarchy I doubted I'd have much control over. The way they described it the Queen should make all the decisions but I knew that as soon as they put a crown on Maverick's head he'd spit in the face of those traditions. Just as he's spit in the face of everything else Juni's told me about lycans. I knew exactly what Maverick had done to me now, he'd marked me, as soon as I learned about what it meant I could hear Xia whining louder. She knew, that's why she fought so hard despite the collar, I would've too if I would've known. Currently I stood in the mirror staring at it, hating the fact that it happened hating myself for being too weak to stop it. I wanted to claw it off my skin but it doesn't work like that, unless a stronger mating match were to come along and replace the bite it'll stick forever. 

I didn't even want a mate but if I had to have one anyone other him is what I need. I looked down at the revealing red dress I wore and sighed today was the day he'd present me in front of the Alpha's of the world. I could tell today was important since he'd told me about it and marked me he's been more temperamental than usual I could hear him screaming at Felix from here. Despite Felix seeming like an asshole 87% of the time, I actually feel for him, anyone who has to spend that much time kissing up to Maverick deserves pity in my mind. I smoothed the dress out and Juni put her head on my shoulder looking at me in the mirror "If this were any other man I'd be excited for you, but such is life, we're gonna make do with what we got though. Just smile and nod let him do all the talking, even though you will be Queen it'll be him who holds all the power let him have his moment. If you get a moment any moment no matter how big..." she looked around, turned me to face her, and pulled me close.

"Run." she whispered as the doors opened and Maverick walked in "Are you done" he growled at Juni making her instantly fall into the aura the girl I met had. Juni had begun to open up to me and it's so strange for me to see her fall back into herself like this. She shouldn't have to, none of us should. But none of us have a choice, except Felix and his barbie doll Isolde. When he finally took his eyes off Juni and looked at me he paused for a moment. A long one, he stood there looking me up and down saying nothing, I could hear Xia bristle at the way he was looking at us but we could do nothing "Come. It's time" he spoke after physically shaking his head and holding his hand out for me to take. I rolled my eyes casting Juni a look and sighing grabbing his hand and leaving with him to officially start my new life. No where near the life Xia probably envisioned when she picked me but the life we were unfortunately given.

"First thing's first" he whispered to me putting gloves on, he pulled out a needle and stuck it into my back making me wince and grit my teeth. I glared at him as he smirked and undid the latch in the back of my collar. I felt my body sigh in relief and Xia pushed more forward ready to lunge at him but there was still a wall. It's whatever he put in us I knew it, I was too tired and didn't trust him enough to ask so I just peeled my eyes from his face and turned to the door we'd stopped in front of. He rubbed small circles into my back that made me physically jump away from his touch only for him to grip my waist tightly "Don't, I thought I made myself clear about the role you play here Sage" I growled lowly one of the only things Xia could actually do "Keep that dog of yours in line regardless of whatever tonight should be, I will not hesitate to put this collar back on you" at that thought I immediately yanked her back and shoved her in a corner I didn't want to lose her again. 

You won't. My mind relaxed at hearing her voice feeling her presence even if it wasn't like the way I remember it being when we first met "Presenting the future King and Queen" someone stated loudly on the other side of the door as they were opened for us. Xia give me the strength. I'm behind you the whole night. I smiled fakely and held onto Maverick tightly as we walked and the crowd greeted us, they were all unnaturally beautiful and I felt out of place, even as I looked around the room at the women though there weren't many I felt inadequate. I wanted to leave as soon as I'd walked in but Maverick held me firmly against him he would insure I never left his side tonight. I wasn't allowed to look anyone in the eye I remembered as Maverick's grip tightened on my waist whenever I looked in a certain direction for too long. He didn't want me to make eye contact to send any silent messages or possibly find Brimstone.