Chapter Two: The Strange Maximus Hamilton

If I didn't know any better, I would assume a wealthy, highly intelligent individual occupied this mansion. The roses lining the pavement as you enter seem inviting and lively. Reds and whites with just enough of a color splash to contrast the dull gray stones constructing the dwelling they lead to.

Even though the fountain at the center does not run within the daylight, it still gleams with an unnecessary cleanliness only a paid hand could achieve.

When I moved here over a year ago, I expected to be greeted by a staff of at least twenty. After all, anything less would not be enough to maintain ten acres of gardens, and orchards. Not to mention the three floor building with more rooms than a hospital complex.

Maximus Hamilton is the only occupant that I know of. I've never seen another person within his estate.

The long granite table separates us, with me at one end and him at the other. Breakfast is always served at five thirty am. Every, single, day. If not for my hate of cold eggs, I would stay in bed till at least seven.

My fuzzy, footed little pony pajamas invite me to doze for a moment. I shake my ratted dark hair, blinking my eyes a few times. No, I need to stay awake. Or I'll miss out on after breakfast ice cream.

I have never in my life eaten ice cream that smooth, creamy, flavorful. Every time I take a bite, memories of my parents play through my head. I see mama pushing me on the tire swing, papa jumping out from behind the large oak tree pretending to scare me. Though he never succeeded, I always pretended to be terrified to make him smile.

It is not simply the flavor of the ice cream that makes me long for it. Getting lost in times of the past is far more precious than a touch of sweetness to the tongue. I absently circle the last piece of omelet around the plate. I miss my parents. I want them to come back. I don't know why they left. I thought they loved me.

A single tear falls down my face. I quickly wipe it away. Maximus did not approve of emotional outbursts. Crying shows weakness. Weakness means death. If you must cry, do so  where no one can see.

That was the first thing he told me when I walked through the door, with my red eyes, and a snotty nose like a wee child. Every time he found me weeping, he'd say it again. Not firmly, he never raised his hand against me. But with a timid voice, almost fearful like someone else, or something else was watching us.

I unconsciously glance over my shoulder, which I  find myself often doing. If not for my logical raising, I'd superstitiously believe this house was haunted. Or in the very least cursed. Strange things happen, unexplained things.

Last night I glanced in my mirror, and I thought for a moment I saw someone standing behind me. But when I turned around to look, no one was there. It's more than likely my lack of sleeping from having to wake up at such an ungodly hour for meals.

No matter how hard I try, I can never sleep till around three in the morning. I am forced to nap like an old person, just to get a minimum of five hours.

"If you don't eat....." Maximus shouts from across the room.

I jump at the sudden loud speaking. But was so lost in my thoughts, I have no idea what he said. "Huh?"

Maximus shoves away from the table, his chair scrapes against the floor echoing in the nearly empty dining room. He walks over to me at a brisk pace, his long legs taking only moments to reach me.

I look up at the towering giant, making sure to respectfully meet his hazel eyes situated slightly too close together beneath his spectacles. "I apologize Mr.Hamilton, I was not paying attention."